Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable of Content From Part of Other File Post 302395279 by royarellano on Monday 15th of February 2010 02:59:41 PM
Old 02-15-2010
Sweet, I tried this:

var1=`grep "^1" testmsg.txt`;

and it worked. But it added the leading number 1 (2, 3, so-on). If I remove the line numbering then it doesn't return the line. So I assume I'd have to truncate that line number and the space after the line number. Sorry I'm still a newbie, so how would I add the truncate in the same call?

v/r
Roy

---------- Post updated at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:50 PM ----------

Anyone?

How to take out the first two characters (spaces) or whatever from a string?

In this case the line looks like this: 1 text text text text;
when I grep 1 I don't want the 1 or the space after it, I just want to echo text text text.

Sorry for such a novice quetion. I did try searching but it pulls ways of doing it with slashes and the trailing part of a string.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to assign the content of a file to a variable?

Hi all, I have a problem here. I have a file and let we take the content of the file is just '32' (only a numeric value in that file). Now I need to assign this numeric value ( value in that file) to a variable. Is that possible? If so, can you plz advice me on this? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put content of file into a variable?

For example, I have a simple text file note: this a note a simple note a very very simple notewhen I use this command, temp=$(cat "note.txt")then I echo temp, the result is in one line. echo $temp note: this a note a simple note a very very simple noteMy variable doesn't have newline. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file content as a part of an if-statement

Hello, I have following problem. I have the result of a database request. I preparated the result via sed, etc. as a string in a file. The string in the file is: ($3==1 || $3==2 || $3==3 || $3==4) Now I want to use the String as a command in an if-statement. So I assigned the string to a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr_Aleman
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

6. Programming

PASSING PART OF FILE CONTENT TO VARIABLE

All, I have a log file containing lots of data now i want to extract all text between block below(names) without the title or end pattern but only names, ++++START++++ SCOTT TIGER HENRY PAUL JARED OTIENO OMOLLO JA NIGERIA ++++END++++ the names i want to return and store in a variable in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scott2000
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable resolution in File content

I have a file File1 containing lines like below apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color banana ${FRUIT}-Color Now, in my shell I'm reading the file like below while read FRUIT DESC; do echo $FRUIT $DESC; done < File1 which outputs - apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting ls content into a file using variable

hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a part of variable/line content in a file

I have a variable and assigned the following values ***XYZ_201519_20150929140642_20150929140644_211_0_0_211 I need to read this variable from backward and stop read when I get first underscore (_) In this scenario I should get 211 Thanks Kris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkris
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of variable by their content in a file

Dear all, I have a "SQL request" in a file: that request include different "host variable" and I would like to substitute the different "host variable" by their respective content before executing the request. For example: $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ cat dae2.txt DELETE FROM ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
11 Replies
Test::Inline::Content(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Test::Inline::Content(3pm)

NAME
Test::Inline::Content - Test::Inline 2 Content Handlers DESCRIPTION
One problem with the initial versions of Test::Inline 2 was the method by which it generated the script contents. "Test::Inline::Content" provides a basic API by which more sophisticated extensions can be written to control the content of the generated scripts. METHODS
new A default implementation of the "new" method is provided that takes no parameters and creates a default (empty) object. Returns a new "Test::Inline::Content" object. process $Inline $Script The "process" method does the work of generating the script content. It takes as argument the parent Test::Inline object, and the completed Test::Inline::Script object for which the file is to be generated. The default implementation returns only an empty script that dies with an appropriate error message. Returns the content of the script as a string, or "undef" on error. SUPPORT
See the main SUPPORT section. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org>, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004 - 2010 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.12.4 2010-11-22 Test::Inline::Content(3pm)