Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wait given time unless key pressed Post 302395266 by cue on Monday 15th of February 2010 01:07:21 PM
Old 02-15-2010
Wait given time unless key pressed

Hello everyone.
I'm trying to create a script that waits a given amount of time unless a given key is pressed. I found a very useful thread here

https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...ss-script.html

however, I cannot figure out a way of avoiding the keypress if the countdown hits zero. is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

default time in Solaris 8 for time-wait

Ok, heres the situation. We use Solaris 8 and sometimes users who are logged into our system restart their pc's without shutting down the application that attached to our unix backend. I netstat and I get time-waits for the users. My question is how long before the time-wait ends and the user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Time Wait interval

What is the time_wait interval for Solaris 8/9??? and is it configurable??? For example sometimes a clients pc will freeze up dropping the connection, closing the port. The problem is on our side our system still thinks their logged in (until it realizes it dropped on the otherside and drops on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

3. Programming

know what key is pressed

hi i´m making a program, and i would like to know how can i know what key was pressed. i'm using Sun5.7 and C. is there a keypress/keypressed function in C? how can i know recognize the keys (enter, tab, shift, etc.)? can i recognize two keys ? (shift+A, ctrl+C, etc) any idea.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify whether the return key is pressed ??

I want my program(ksh) to execute further only if the return key is pressed. Please help. i have already tried "\n", "\r", "^M" . Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AiK
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Process wait time

Hi all, I am trying to find out the process wait time on Unix(AIX/SOLARIS) machine( only sh/ksh/csh): Like EXAMPLE 1 : $ vmstat 2 System configuration: lcpu=16 mem=32000MB kthr memory page faults cpu ----- -----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandrakala.sg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

date and time on every time pressing return key

Hi all, I have a situation here, I want that every time when i press "enter key" in bash prompt i want the date command to be executed. i have tried to make some changes in "/etc/bashrc" but no luck. Thanx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xander
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

screen blinks when escape key is pressed

hi folks, i am using sun solaris, when i press escape key in putty/netterm screen will blink for a second, plese let me know where this setting is done by my admin, what i feel is my admin must have set some control key for this so that screen will refresh each time i press escape key. please let... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheer157
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disable Enter key to be pressed

Hi Experts, I have a script in which I want to disable the "Enter" key press. Actually my script executes some process in background. So, till that background process is running, I don't want "Enter" key to be pressed by user. Is this can be achieved using trap command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: R0H0N
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i know the pressed key is arrowup?

Hi all, I need to know how to test a pressed key is arrowup or arrowdown and etc.. I found that the "echo" won't print anything if i enter the arrowup in the below code: read echo "you pressed $REPLY" Then i find a way to achieve my goal. 1 #! /bin/bash 2 3 ARROWUP='\;then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help with shell Script ,wait for some files for some time??

Hi All, I have the requirement that ,i have to write a shell script that job has to wait for a 7 touch files created by another application for 4 hours, if i get all 7 touch files ,i have to send a mail that i jobs are completed, if if it is waiting for more than 4 hours i have to send a mail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep Shetty
2 Replies
uri(n)						    Tcl Uniform Resource Identifier Management						    uri(n)

NAME
uri - URI utilities SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require uri ?1.1.1? uri::split url uri::join ?key value?... uri::resolve base url uri::isrelative url uri::geturl url ?options...? uri::canonicalize uri uri::register schemeList script DESCRIPTION
This package contains two parts. First it provides regular expressions for a number of url/uri schemes. Second it provides a number of com- mands for manipulating urls/uris and fetching data specified by them. For the latter this package analyses the requested url/uri and then dispatches it to the appropriate package (http, ftp, ...) for actual fetching. COMMANDS
uri::split url uri::split takes a single url, decodes it and then returns a list of key/value pairs suitable for array set containing the con- stituents of the url. If the scheme is missing from the url it defaults to http. Currently only the schemes http, ftp, mailto, urn and file are supported. See section EXTENDING on how to expand that range. uri::join ?key value?... uri::join takes a list of key/value pairs (generated by uri::split, for example) and returns the canonical url they represent. Cur- rently only the schemes http, ftp, mailto, urn and file are supported. See section EXTENDING on how to expand that range. uri::resolve base url uri::resolve resolves the specified url relative to base. In other words: A non-relative url is returned unchanged, whereas for a relative url the missing parts are taken from base and prepended to it. The result of this operation is returned. For an empty url the result is base. uri::isrelative url uri::isrelative determines whether the specified url is absolute or relative. uri::geturl url ?options...? uri::geturl decodes the specified url and then dispatches the request to the package appropriate for the scheme found in the url. The command assumes that the package to handle the given scheme either has the same name as the scheme itself (including possible capitalization) followed by ::geturl, or, in case of this failing, has the same name as the scheme itself (including possible capi- talization). It further assumes that whatever package was loaded provides a geturl-command in the namespace of the same name as the package itself. This command is called with the given url and all given options. Currently geturl does not handle any options itself. Note: file-urls are an exception to the rule described above. They are handled internally. It is not possible to specify results of the command. They depend on the geturl-command for the scheme the request was dispatched to. uri::canonicalize uri uri::canonicalize returns the canonical form of a URI. The canonical form of a URI is one where relative path specifications, ie. . and .., have been resolved. uri::register schemeList script uri::register registers the first element of schemeList as a new scheme and the remaining elements as aliases for this scheme. It creates the namespace for the scheme and executes the script in the new namespace. The script has to declare variables containing the regular expressions relevant to the scheme. At least the variable schemepart has to be declared as that one is used to extend the variables keeping track of the registered schemes. SCHEMES
In addition to the commands mentioned above this package provides regular expression to recognize urls for a number of url schemes. For each supported scheme a namespace of the same name as the scheme itself is provided inside of the namespace uri containing the variable url whose contents are a regular expression to recognize urls of that scheme. Additional variables may contain regular expressions for parts of urls for that scheme. The variable uri::schemes contains a list of all supported schemes. Currently these are ftp, file, http, gopher, mailto, news, wais and prospero. EXTENDING
Extending the range of schemes supported by uri::split and uri::join is easy because both commands do not handle the request by themselves but dispatch it to another command in the uri namespace using the scheme of the url as criterion. uri::split and uri::join call Split[string totitle <scheme>] and Join[string totitle <scheme>] respectively. CREDITS
Original code by Andreas Kupries. Modularisation by Steve Ball. KEYWORDS
uri, url, fetching information, www, http, ftp, mailto, gopher, wais, prospero, file uri 1.1.1 uri(n)