Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk to when reading a file to search and output to file Post 302395259 by ski on Monday 15th of February 2010 12:52:08 PM
Old 02-15-2010
Thanks, I'll try it right now.

---------- Post updated at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:42 PM ----------

It didn't work but did get further. I have an eof unexpected issue but no file created.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Input from File and Duplicates Output

Greetings to all, I would like to read input from a file and make duplications from it with Linux shell. For e.g. Input file ----------- ABC ABB ABA ------------------------------- Output file ------------ ABC ABC ABC ABB ABB (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: noelcantona
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to search an html file and output links

hello. i want to make an awk script to search an html file and output all the links (e.g .html, .htm, .jpg, .doc, .pdf, etc..) inside it. also, i want the links that will be output to be split into 3 groups (separated by an empty line), the first group with links to other webpages (.html .htm etc),... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kyris
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a text file then /grep/output

I have a list of words that I want to grep in many files to see which ones have it and which ones dont. in the text file I have all the words listed line by line, ex: list.txt: check try this word1 word2 open space list .. I want to grep each line one by one. like I want it to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3rro
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and search a value in another file create third file using AWK

Hi, I have two files with the format shown below. I need to read first field(value before comma) from file 1 and search for a record in file 2 that has the same value in the field "KEY=" and write the complete record of file 2 with corresponding field 2 of the first file in to result file. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Kalyan
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace in Multiple Files by reading a input file

Hi, I have a folder which contains multiple config.xml files and one input file, Please see the below format. Config Files format looks like :- Code: <application name="SAMPLE-ARCHIVE"> <NVPairs name="Global Variables"> <NameValuePair> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiksuresh
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading UNIX commands from file and redirecting output to a file

Hi All I have written the following script: #!/bin/ksh while read cmdline do echo `$cmdline` pid="$cmdline" done<commands.txt =========== commands.txt contains: ps -ef | grep abc | grep xyz |awk '{print $2}; My objective is to store the o/p of the command in a variable and do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulparo
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading lines from a file between two search patterns

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and is working on a script to extract lines from a log file between two time stamps using awk command. After some research I used following command: awk '/01 Oct 2011/{p=1} /10 Oct 2011/{p=0} p' test.log >> tmp.log This works fine. But now i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidtd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output path for file from search file

Hello Everyone, I am new to Unix and trying to learn as much as I can. But I do not need to create urgent scripts that I can use instantly. :(:( One of the scripts I am trying to write is essentially something that takes in a .txt file with product names. The product names are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UN007
3 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)