Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Display echo results in three column Post 302395230 by frans on Monday 15th of February 2010 11:32:00 AM
Old 02-15-2010
Something like this (not sure for the indexing)
Code:
# create an aray with the data
while read L
do   
    T[$i]="$L"
    ((i++))
done < components
# display the array
COLS=3
ROWS=$((${#T[@]}/$COLS))
for ((i=0; i<$ROWS; i++))
do
    for ((j=0; i=<$COLS; j++))
    do
        echo -e "\t$i : t${T[$((i+ROWS*j))]}
    done
    echo
done

I'm sure awk could do the job fine...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display from a variable using echo.

I have a variable that is outputting a lot of space. here has been 45 lines returned ... how can I remove the spaces between the "been and the 45" CODE: fil_len=`wc -l < coshb.txt` if ; then cat coshb.txt | more echo " " echo "There has been ${fil_len} lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Top and Prstat display different results for memory

I have a question about the accuracy of prstat. I did a 'prstat -t' and it shows 99% of my memory is occupied by oracle. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 194 oracle 343G 340G 99% 86:17.24 56% However, 'top' shows I still have 7762meg of memory free. Memory: 16G real, 7762M... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen03
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does echo $$ command display

whats the value stored in $$ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suri
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display first 7 char of grep results?

My file contains the following: uat2000.aspclient.active=true uat2001.aspclient.active=true uat2002.aspclient.active=true uat2003.aspclient.active=true uat2004.aspclient.active=false uat2005.aspclient.active=false uat2006.aspclient.active=false uat2007.aspclient.active=false... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo display problem

Hi I am facing a strange problem a=03 echo ${a} the output is 3 But i want to display it is 03 Can you people help me how to display it like 03. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display find results, and pipe to xargs

I have an overnight script which runs across a large directory to repair permissions and ownership. I also have this command output the list of files affected so that cron can email these as a log file. Previously I had the command in the form: find /path/to/files -not -user myname -print -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Using ls or echo to display a specific output

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: What single command line would you enter to get the following output? 8140 drwxr-xr-x 9 root bin 18 Jan 20... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dasboot
6 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Display mysql results nicely

Hi, perhaps this is a dumb question. I'm running queries on mysql and I'm getting tabbed results like these: mysql> SELECT * from metrics_status WHERE date = '2012-03-30'; <TABLE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

display echo only once

lets say I am printing something out echo "Please enter a valid username" and its being printed out 5 times, is there any way I can limit to only being displayed ONCE. I tried echo -n but that just makes everything fit on one line. Right now it keeps saying Please enter a valid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subway69
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display some special results with AWK

I have a file like this: AAEQGAGNQPQH,,,,160,32,,,, AAGQDYNSPLH,,712,39,,,,,, AAGREGGNTEAF,26,,,,,,,,4 AAGSPQH,,,,8,5,,,, AAKKLGQFYNEQF,4,,6,,,7,,,2 AANSGGRYNEQF,,2747,3120,,,,,, AAQGGVGGELF,,,,5,,12,36,, AAQGLAGYYEQY,,25,13,,,,,, AAQRGNEQF,510,2,,,6,,6,,76 AAQTGENSPLH,,16,16,,,,,, The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
9 Replies
PDOSTATEMENT.FETCHCOLUMN(3)						 1					       PDOSTATEMENT.FETCHCOLUMN(3)

PDOStatement::fetchColumn - Returns a single column from the next row of a result set

SYNOPSIS
public mixed PDOStatement::fetchColumn ([int $column_number]) DESCRIPTION
Returns a single column from the next row of a result set or FALSE if there are no more rows. Note PDOStatement.fetchColumn(3) should not be used to retrieve boolean columns, as it is impossible to distinguish a value of FALSE from there being no more rows to retrieve. Use PDOStatement.fetch(3) instead. PARAMETERS
o $column_number - 0-indexed number of the column you wish to retrieve from the row. If no value is supplied, PDOStatement.fetchColumn(3) fetches the first column. RETURN VALUES
PDOStatement.fetchColumn(3) returns a single column in the next row of a result set. Warning There is no way to return another column from the same row if you use PDOStatement.fetchColumn(3) to retrieve data. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Return first column of the next row <?php $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT name, colour FROM fruit"); $sth->execute(); print("Fetch the first column from the first row in the result set: "); $result = $sth->fetchColumn(); print("name = $result "); print("Fetch the second column from the second row in the result set: "); $result = $sth->fetchColumn(1); print("colour = $result "); ?> The above example will output: Fetch the first column from the first row in the result set: name = lemon Fetch the second column from the second row in the result set: colour = red SEE ALSO
PDO.query(3), PDOStatement.fetch(3), PDOStatement.fetchAll(3), PDO.prepare(3), PDOStatement.setFetchMode(3). PHP Documentation Group PDOSTATEMENT.FETCHCOLUMN(3)