Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting \n have to make a newline forever? Post 302394739 by Corona688 on Friday 12th of February 2010 10:52:48 AM
Old 02-12-2010
I think you misunderstood me, I agree with that sentiment, to a point. Smilie Actually, you might want to convert all backslashes into double-backslashes to prevent sed from eating them. You should also escape forward slashes in case there's a forward slash in ststr2, that could bomb your script. And do that for ststr1 too.

Code:
ststr2=$(sed 's/\\/\\\\/g;s/\//\\\//g' <<< "$ststr2")
ststr1=$(sed 's/\//\\\//g' <<< "$ststr1")

Ugh, that almost looks like ASCII art... Too bad there's no way I know of to just tell sed not to escape anything in the input string, that'd make this easy. Or if there is a way, my sed knowledge isn't strong enough to find it.

Last edited by Corona688; 02-12-2010 at 11:59 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 4.3.3 takes forever to log in

Hi all, my RS/6k 7043 150 with aix 4.3.3 takes FOREVER to log in. When I power the machine on, the boot process procedes normally and I get 2 short beeps (which I don't recall hearing before) and then I get the login window. If I log in, as root, say, the machine goes to its usual blue screen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jwoollard
3 Replies

2. Programming

msgrcv pending forever !!!

When I am using msgrcv to get a message from a queue, in case of msgsnd some error, the msgrcv thread will waiting forever. Is there some way that I can specify a time out value for this queue ? just let msgrcv wait for some time, if no message comes during this time slot, msgrcv just return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yun Gang Chen
3 Replies

3. Solaris

user password forever

Hi I am very new for Solaris, I want to make some users' passwords never expired. My ssytem kernel is: 5.8 # uname -a SunOS sspfs_svr 5.8 Generic_117000-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-240 Could you make some advice? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i make sar command run forever ?

Hello all i found out about the sar command but when looking in the man pages there is no way to make sar working for ever .. only with some kind of interval . like sar 2 30 . my question is can i just run sar for ever ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

5. Linux

I want to mount my disk forever

Hi guys! I've just mounted my drive in fstab: /dev/sdb /myfolder ext3 defaults 0 0 and rebooted linux. I've got severel failers during booting process and also I can't login as root first time: login: root password:root incorrect login login:user password: user ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junior Admin
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever <-- what does this mean?

Just looking at my ethernet interface.. I see this response... what does this mean...? ipconfig... lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00 inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo inet6 ::1/128 scope host valid_lft... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
0 Replies

7. Programming

pthread_cond_timedwait relocks forever

looking in pthread's source code I can see that as an epilogue both pthread_cond_timedwait and pthread_cond_wait will try to relock the mutex by means of __pthread_mutex_cond_lock. Does this mean that any of them both could eventually block forever if the mutex is never again available after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramestica
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Failed dependencies loop forever

Hello All, I was trying to install one rpm and it failed due to missing dependencies, when I try to look at the dependencies and try to install them it is asking for 100+ dependencies, did any one ever face this problem? how can we fix this? rpm -ivh /var/tmp/erlang-R15B-02.1.el6.x86_64.rpm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forever -w option

I am trying to use the forever command. I can get it to work if I do not use the w option to watch for changes and cause an automatic restart on a change to the contents of the directory being watched. I would really like to use the watch option. Is this option fully implemented? here is an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrygordon
4 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitEscapeUseraContributPerl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitEscapedMetacharacters(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitEscapedMetacharacters - Use character classes for literal meta-characters instead of escapes. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Ever heard of leaning toothpick syndrome? That comes from writing regular expressions that match on characters that are significant in regular expressions. For example, the expression to match four forward slashes looks like: m//////; Well, this policy doesn't solve that problem (write it as "m{////}" instead!) but solves a related one. As seen above, the escapes make the expression hard to parse visually. One solution is to use character classes. You see, inside of character classes, the only characters that are special are "", "]", "^" and "-", so you don't need to escape the others. So instead of the following loose IPv4 address matcher: m/ d+ . d+ . d+ . d+ /x; You could write: m/ d+ [.] d+ [.] d+ [.] d+ /x; which is certainly more readable, if less recognizable prior the publication of Perl Best Practices. (Of course, you should really use Regexp::Common::net to match IPv4 addresses!) Specifically, this policy forbids backslashes immediately prior to the following characters: { } ( ) . * + ? | # We make special exception for "$" because "/[$]/" turns into "/[5.008006/" for Perl 5.8.6. We also make an exception for "^" because it has special meaning (negation) in a character class. Finally, "[" and "]" are exempt, of course, because they are awkward to represent in character classes. Note that this policy does not forbid unnecessary escaping. So go ahead and (pointlessly) escape "!" characters. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. BUGS
Perl treats "m/[#]/x" in unexpected ways. I think it's a bug in Perl itself, but am not 100% sure that I have not simply misunderstood... This part makes sense: "#f" =~ m/[#]f/x; # match "#f" =~ m/[#]a/x; # no match This doesn't: $qr = qr/f/; "#f" =~ m/[#]$qr/x; # no match Neither does this: print qr/[#]$qr/x; # yields '(?x-ism:[#]$qr )' CREDITS
Initial development of this policy was supported by a grant from the Perl Foundation. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Chris Dolan. Many rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module perl v5.14.2 20Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitEscapedMetacharacters(3pm)