Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting \n have to make a newline forever? Post 302394730 by Corona688 on Friday 12th of February 2010 10:31:47 AM
Old 02-12-2010
You could try double-escaping the \n to make it interpret it as a literal backslash...

Code:
ststr2=$(sed 's/\\n/\\\\n/g' <<< "$ststr2")

On the other hand, I think strings like
Code:
lines terminated by '
'

are actually valid, albeit ugly Smilie

Last edited by Corona688; 02-12-2010 at 11:37 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 4.3.3 takes forever to log in

Hi all, my RS/6k 7043 150 with aix 4.3.3 takes FOREVER to log in. When I power the machine on, the boot process procedes normally and I get 2 short beeps (which I don't recall hearing before) and then I get the login window. If I log in, as root, say, the machine goes to its usual blue screen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jwoollard
3 Replies

2. Programming

msgrcv pending forever !!!

When I am using msgrcv to get a message from a queue, in case of msgsnd some error, the msgrcv thread will waiting forever. Is there some way that I can specify a time out value for this queue ? just let msgrcv wait for some time, if no message comes during this time slot, msgrcv just return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yun Gang Chen
3 Replies

3. Solaris

user password forever

Hi I am very new for Solaris, I want to make some users' passwords never expired. My ssytem kernel is: 5.8 # uname -a SunOS sspfs_svr 5.8 Generic_117000-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-240 Could you make some advice? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i make sar command run forever ?

Hello all i found out about the sar command but when looking in the man pages there is no way to make sar working for ever .. only with some kind of interval . like sar 2 30 . my question is can i just run sar for ever ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

5. Linux

I want to mount my disk forever

Hi guys! I've just mounted my drive in fstab: /dev/sdb /myfolder ext3 defaults 0 0 and rebooted linux. I've got severel failers during booting process and also I can't login as root first time: login: root password:root incorrect login login:user password: user ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junior Admin
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever <-- what does this mean?

Just looking at my ethernet interface.. I see this response... what does this mean...? ipconfig... lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00 inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo inet6 ::1/128 scope host valid_lft... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
0 Replies

7. Programming

pthread_cond_timedwait relocks forever

looking in pthread's source code I can see that as an epilogue both pthread_cond_timedwait and pthread_cond_wait will try to relock the mutex by means of __pthread_mutex_cond_lock. Does this mean that any of them both could eventually block forever if the mutex is never again available after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramestica
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Failed dependencies loop forever

Hello All, I was trying to install one rpm and it failed due to missing dependencies, when I try to look at the dependencies and try to install them it is asking for 100+ dependencies, did any one ever face this problem? how can we fix this? rpm -ivh /var/tmp/erlang-R15B-02.1.el6.x86_64.rpm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forever -w option

I am trying to use the forever command. I can get it to work if I do not use the w option to watch for changes and cause an automatic restart on a change to the contents of the directory being watched. I would really like to use the watch option. Is this option fully implemented? here is an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrygordon
4 Replies
DEVSCRIPTS.CONF(5)						File Formats Manual						DEVSCRIPTS.CONF(5)

NAME
devscripts.conf - configuration file for the devscripts package DESCRIPTION
The devscripts package provides a collection of scripts which may be of use to Debian developers and others wishing to build Debian pack- ages. Many of these have options which can be configured on a system-wide and per-user basis. Every script in the devscripts package which makes use of values from these configuration files describes the specific settings recognised in its own manpage. (For a list of the scripts, either see /usr/share/doc/devscripts/README.gz or look at the output of dpkg -L devscripts | grep /usr/bin.) The two configuration files are /etc/devscripts.conf for system-wide defaults and ~/.devscripts for per-user settings. They are written with bash(1) syntax, but should only have comments and simple variable assignments in them; they are both sourced (if present) by many of the devscripts scripts. Variables corresponding to simple switches should have one of the values yes and no; any other setting is regarded as equivalent to the default setting. All variable names are written in uppercase, and begin with the script name. Package-wide variables begin with "DEVSCRIPTS", and are listed below, as well as in the relevant manpages. For a list of all of the available options variables, along with their default settings, see the example configuration file /usr/share/doc/devscripts/devscripts.conf.ex. This is copied to /etc/devscripts.conf when the devscripts package is first installed. Information about configuration options introduced in newer versions of the package will be appended to /etc/devscripts.conf when the pack- age is upgraded. Every script which reads the configuration files can be forced to ignore them by using --no-conf as the first command-line option. PACKAGE-WIDE VARIABLES The currently recognised package-wide variables are: DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL, DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX These variables control scripts which change directory to find a debian/changelog file or suchlike, and some other miscellaneous cases. In order to prevent unwanted, even possibly dangerous, behaviour, these variables control when actions will be performed. The scripts which currently make use of these variables are: debc, debchange/dch, debclean, debi, debrelease, debuild and uscan, but this list may change with time (and I may not remember to update this manpage). Please see the manpages of individual scripts for details of the specific behaviour for each script. SEE ALSO
devscripts(1) and /usr/share/doc/devscripts/README.gz. AUTHOR
This manpage was written for the devscripts package by the package maintainer Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DEVSCRIPTS.CONF(5)