Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to modify csv-file with bash script Post 302394607 by Sebi0815 on Friday 12th of February 2010 05:13:55 AM
Old 02-12-2010
@Franklin52

Thanks for this fast answer,

but I get a very long error message, which has something to do with the "date" command. At the beginning it says

Code:
sh: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

sh: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

The rest of the message is in german, so I will try to translate one of the error massages (they have all the same content, just the argument is different):
Code:
date: The argument ""1263646291"" hasn't got the leading "+".
When an option is given, to specify the date, every argument, that isn't an option, must be an formatstring, that begins with an "+".
"date --help" gives more Information.

Hope you can understand this translation... Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script: modify bash

Hey guys, i'm having trouble complete one of my bash scripts I'm hoping to --- 1. Modify bash so that then the user types "ls" the command that is executed is "ls -al" 2. Modify the point of entry in bash when the user accesses it, moving the initial location to /var I've somewhat done #2,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LibRid
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to reorder csv

hi guys, im fairly new to unix and bash scripts and therefore your help would really be appreciated. i need to write a bash script that will take a csv file, and reorder the data and output to another csv file. The source csv file will look something like this: HEAD,671061,Add,SS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daz_20
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data from .csv file through shell script & modify

I need to read data from a file called "test.csv" through shell script where the file contains values like name,price,descriptor etc. There are rows where descriptor (& in some rows name) are written as string & other characters like "car_+" OR "bike*" etc where it should contains strings like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj100
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Pl/sql function in shell script to modify csv

I need to 1.Open a csv 2.Process the csv i.e. Modify 2 column in the csv. To modify the column the value needs to be passed to a pl/sql function and the return value should be updated For eg: If column 2 E,then E will be passed in database function which will return Employee. 3. Write a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chinky23
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script help - removing certain rows from .csv file

Hello Everyone, I am trying to find a way to take a .csv file with 7 columns and a ton of rows (over 600,000) and remove the entire row if the cell in forth column is blank. Just to give you a little background on why I am doing this (just in case there is an easier way), I am pulling... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrTuxor
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to modify csv file

Hi Friends, I want to convert a csv file into a ordinary .txt file. I am able to convert but I want the output to look as shown below in the .txt file table findhost= { {"xyz","abc"}, {"rxz","mmz"}, {"vrr","nnz"}, } default={"NONE"} My current perl script #!/usr/bin/env perl... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csv download in a bash script

I am attempting to download a url in csv format. When I download this url in a browser excel opens up and automatically populates with comma separated values. When I try to use curl or wget I get nothing or garbage. This on the command line just hangs wget -b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify CSV file

Hi, I would like to change my CSV file by adding " and : and moving some of the information around. the CSV file looks as follows: 501254424;500440257;PE PACKS;300467279;PREP;;276476070;655031001867176;Two Block;Olga;25/12/2015 00:00:00;Olga I would like to move the field 7 to the front "... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: omuhans123
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify csv-files with awk

Hello everyone! I have thousands of csv files I have to import into a Database table. As usually the files aren't perfect. For example they have a different number of columns and some weird columns. The second problem is, that I have to add 3 parts of the filename into 3 rows in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: elRonaldo
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed, awk or another bash command to modify string with the content of another file

Hello everybody, I would like modify some strings using sed or another command line with the content file. For example: - {fqdn: "server-01" , ip: "server-01"} - {fqdn: "server-02" , ip: "server-02"} - {fqdn: "server-03" , ip: "server-03"} - {fqdn: "server-04" , ip: "server-04"} My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dco
4 Replies
dp(8mh) 																   dp(8mh)

Name
       dp - parse dates RFC 822-style

Syntax
       /usr/lib/mh/dp [ -form file ] [ -format string ] [ -help ] [ -width columns ] dates

Description
       The command parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard.  It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by
       TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using It is useful for seeing how MH will interpret a date.

The program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official RFC 822 format.  Hence, it is  usually  best	to
       enclose each argument in double quotes (") for the shell.

Options
       -form file
		 Overrides the default output format of The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified file.  This must be
		 a format file; see

-format string
		 Overrides the default output format of The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified string.	This  must
		 be a format string; see

The  argument to the -format option must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes Therefore, you should usually
		 place the argument to this option inside double quotes (").

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-width columns
		 Specifies the width of the screen in columns.

The defaults for this command are as follows:

-width defaults to the width of the terminal

Examples
       This is the default format string used by
       %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(pretty{text})%>

When an error is detected, this prints error: and the date that is in error.  Otherwise, it outputs the proper RFC 822 format of the date.

Files
       User profile.

See Also
       ap(8mh)
       Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822)

dp(8mh)