Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Expect "interact" fails when called from another script Post 302394525 by wbathurs on Thursday 11th of February 2010 05:47:00 PM
Old 02-11-2010
I am not sure if you code example was complete. I tried replicating with a simple shell script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo $1 $2 $3

Then did the following:
Code:
while true; 
   do
      test.sh
   done

In this case, it doesn't process the arguments. If I do the following, which matches your example

Code:
while true; 
   do
      test.sh 1 2 3
   done

Then, no matter what I type, I will get 1 2 3 as output. Are you trying to be prompted for your opt1, opt2, opt3 arguments everytime? If so, this isn't the correct way to do it.

I would keep an iterator of the the number of hosts or times you wish to run your script, and move the readline way from the "while" line & change your expect script to prompt for the variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Shell Script fails with "can't connect to client"

Hi Unix Gurus, I have written a shell script to unfreeze all frozen media in NetBackup. Here is the script written on HP-UX using ksh: *********************************************** set -x cd $HOME rm -f frozentest rm -f mediaserver cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd pbrun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sseenu79
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

#!/bin/sh script fails at StringA | tr "[x]" "[y]"

I need to take a string (stringA) check it for spaces and replace any spaces found with an equal (=) sign. This is not working. There are spaces between each component: $StringA | tr "" "" The error returned is: test: Specify a parameter with this command Can you help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: by_tg
3 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Samba (SMB) client fails: "Called name not present"

Hi, I issue smbclient on a Linux REd hat server : smbclient -L ***.16.0.42 -U domaine/Administrator Password: Domain= OS= Server= Domain= OS= Server= Sharename Type Comment --------- ---- ------- IPC$ IPC IPC distant ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

All alias in .profile lost when "script" command is called

Hi, I was trying to call "script <an ip add>" command from .profile file to log everything whenever anyone logs in to this user. I did the following at the end of .profile. 1) Extracted the IP address who logged in 2) Called script < ip add> . The problem I am facing is all, aliases etc. written... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicon007
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with "exit" called from function in bourne script

Hi everyone. #!/sbin/sh EXITING() { umount /FOLDER rm -Rf /FOLDER echo "EXIT" exit 0 } EXITING echo "OK" (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vacadepollo
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Scripting - Using the "interact" command?

Hello All, I am writing an Expect Script to execute some commands over ssh then exit the script. The script works just fine if I automate everything and assuming the correct password was entered. So this Expect Script gets executed from a Bash script... From the Bash script I pass along an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script fails with "function: not found" error

Hello everyone, I am having problems figuring this out. This script below is supposed to create a list of file names with their "md5sum", in a file "lib-list.txt" When I run it "sh component-list.sh " I get this:component-list.sh: 4: component-list.sh: function: not found component-list.sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joemb
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please show me a very simple "expect" script to change password in Solaris please?

Ladies & Gents, Can one of you gurus please show me a very simple "expect" script to change the password in Solaris in a script, please? Nothing fancy, no error checking, no nothing. Just to change the password of a new user, it's all. Many thanks in advance. U guys have honestly earned my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
scotty(1)							 Tnm Tcl Extension							 scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)