Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Massively parallel on single core? Post 302394358 by Andre_Merzky on Thursday 11th of February 2010 07:48:20 AM
Old 02-11-2010
Question Massively parallel on single core?

Hia all,

I am not sure how many people actually follow the HPC forum on unix.com, but you may be interested in discussing the following (academic) problem:

Assume you want to run a *very* large number (say 100.000) of very lightweight synchronous operations. As an example, assume that you want to run 100.000 instances of

Code:
sleep (3600); // thats one hour sleep

The trivial (aka braindead) approach would be

Code:
for ( int i = 0; i < 100000; i++ )
{
  ::sleep (3600);
}

Takes about 15 years to finish ;-)

One could start 1000 threads, and run a sleep in each of them. That reduces the runtime to 100 hours - still 4 days, and the system is totally idle all the time.

So, using more threads? Won't work, as the max-threads-per-process limit will be hit at some point.

So, spawn 100 processes which spawn 1000 threads each?
The max-threads-per-process limit is, on Linux, close to the max-threads-per-system limit, so that won't work. On other Unixes that is different, but I don't think you get 100.000 threads on a normal single CPU system. Do you?

So, what would your approach be?

I am not looking for a sleep replacement: so saying that I should set alarm or something similar is of not much use. Sleep is obviously only an example here - replace it with an extremely lightweight job, like running a very time consuming synchronous remote operation.

I am looking forward to the ideas you guys can come up with! :-)

Cheers, Andre.

Last edited by Andre_Merzky; 02-11-2010 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: layout...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parallel processing

Hi I want to run two shell script files parallely. These two scripts are interacting with the database. can any body help on this Pls Regards Audippa naidu.M (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: audippa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between Dual-core & Core-to-duo

Can anybody tell What is the exact difference between a Dual-core processor and a Core-to-duo processor ?Advance thanks to all my friends. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ajith kumar.G
1 Replies

3. Programming

how to know the application run on which core, and run how many times on this core

I have a dual core pc, I write a application with two child process. I know I can add sched_get_cpu to know the process run on which core, but, it just when the sched_get_cpu is called, it will tell me the result, my quesion is how to know the child proceess spend how many times on one core. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop in parallel

Hello, My script shell is: for i in $(seq $nb_lignes) do //command java done Please, how can i execute all iteration in parallel ? Thank you so much. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace file massively?

Hi Gurus, I need to change a large amout of file name's. for example: current file name: file_ABCDE_sufix.txt I need to change them as file_FGHIGHKE_sufix.txt. Is there any way I can change them with script. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ken6503
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste 2 single column files to a single file

Hi, I have 2 csv/txt files with single columns. I am trying to merge them using paste, but its not working.. output3.csv: flowerbomb everlon-jewelry sofft steve-madden dolce-gabbana-watchoutput2.csv: http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Flowerbomb http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Everlon-Jewelry... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python GNU parallel single command on multiple cores

Hello, I have a 4 core machine. Here is my initial script cd /work/ python script.py input.txt output.txt 1 2 3 This script runs for 1.5hrs. So I read across the web and figured out that you can use GNU parallel to submit multiple jobs using parallel. But I am not sure if I can run... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies
aio_proc_threads(5)						File Formats Manual					       aio_proc_threads(5)

NAME
aio_proc_threads - maximum number of process threads allowed in AIO pool VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
The implementation of POSIX AIO on HP-UX uses kernel threads to perform I/Os to filesystems that do not directly support true asynchronous I/O. (This distinction is transparent to the user.) The kernel threads are organized into worker-thread pools (called AIO thread pools) created on a per-process basis. Since a thread pool mechanism for I/Os introduces a variety of trade-offs concerning utilization of CPU time vs. I/O resources, four dynamic tunables are available to customize the behavior of this thread pool: aio_proc_threads(5), aio_proc_thread_pct(5), aio_req_per_thread(5), and aio_monitor_run_sec(5). Please see individual manpages for details on each of these tunables. The tunable specifies, on a per-process basis, the maximum number of process threads that can be used by the POSIX AIO system as kernel threads for issuing I/Os. This tunable interacts with in the following way: the maximum number of threads used for AIO will be the smaller of the two values defined by the two tunables, i.e.: This allows the number of AIO threads to vary dynamically with but to always be bound by an absolute limit of Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators that run applications requiring heavy usage of POSIX AIO to filesystems. Restrictions on Changing This tunable is dynamic. Changes to to this tunable take effect immediately for new processes started after the change. They also impact existing processes, but the speed with which the changes propagate to running processes is determined by the tunable When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? should be raised for applications that do not use very many threads for their own work, but desire high performance from the POSIX AIO sub- system. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value of This Tunable? Some applications that use POSIX AIO but also require a large number of threads may find that they are unable to create new threads. (This could happen if the POSIX AIO thread pool ends up using too many of a process' allowable threads.) In addition, using a larger number of kernel threads might lead to increased CPU utilization. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? should be lowered when POSIX AIO performance is acceptable but applications using POSIX AIO are seeing errors when trying to create new threads for other work. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value of This Tunable? By ultimately reducing the number of threads available to handle POSIX AIO requests, overall I/O throughput of the POSIX AIO subsystem could be reduced. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time as This One? interacts with this tunable by setting a limit on the number of AIO threads based on a percentage of the maximum number of allowable process threads. This allows the AIO thread pools to respond dynamically to changes in defines the desired relationship between the number of POSIX AIO kernel threads and the number of I/Os to be serviced. defines how often (in seconds) the AIO thread mechanism will monitor itself for adherence to the constraints defined by the tunables above. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2), aio_proc_thread_pct(5), aio_req_per_thread(5), aio_monitor_run_sec(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters aio_proc_threads(5)