Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /etc/vfstab vs /etc/mnttab
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /etc/vfstab vs /etc/mnttab Post 302394237 by robsonde on Wednesday 10th of February 2010 11:44:50 PM
Old 02-11-2010
I will assume a solaris OS.
if you are not using solaris then my answer may be very wrong...

/etc/vfstab is used to describe the file system you expect to use.
in this file you list the mount point and device of each file system.
you also have options for logging,fsck, mount order and auto mount.

if your file system is marked as auto mount then it will all mount at boot time.

/etc/mounttab is a list of what is mounted right now.
this is NOT a file you should be touching.
the OS will keep a list of what is mounted and on which device.
if you tinker with /etc/mounttab then bad things will happen, likely needing a re-boot to fix.

if you have all the file system in /etc/vfstab mounted then /etc/mounttab will look much like /etc/vfstab

hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/vfstab

If i wish to make a mount permanent, is it /etc/vfstab that i have to the entry add to? If so does anybody know the syntax, ie. is it tab or space delimited ? etc etc any help would be greatly appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

bdf , /etc/fstab , /etc/mnttab

Hi all, Would like to know if it is possible to rearrange the order that mounts are displayed when the 'bdf' command is issued. An example of what I mean is, currently I see the following ... $ bdf -l Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol3 524288 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/mnttab is zero length - I have done a silly thing

Being the clever-clogs that I am, I have managed to clobber the contents of /etc/mnttab. It started when I tried to unmount all the volumes in a prticular veritas disk group and neglected to include a suitable grep in my command line, thus attempting to unmount _all_ the filesystems on the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about vfstab

Hi all, I have been trying to figure out a way to mount swap on /tmp at a stage early than the default script that does it... If anyone knows how it can be done pls pls help me!!!!! I have been struggling a lot for it Secondly, continuing with the same issue... I wanted to know if the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

5. Linux

veritas hasf /etc/mnttab

Hi All, Where is now the /etc/mnttab if you are in veritas sfha for red hat es 4? Thanks in advance for any comments. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

6. Solaris

etc/vfstab

Hi Everyone, How to find the wrong entry in etc/vfstab or wrong mount point in etc/vfstab ? Thanks & Regards Padmaja. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmaja
4 Replies

7. Solaris

My /etc/mnttab file is showing ro permission for /usr

Hi All, My current /usr utilization is 100%.As i don't have another harddisk i decided to delete some unnecessary files under /usr.But,while deleteing it is giving error "it is a readonly filesystem".I checked /etc/mnttab file it is showing the following entry /dev/lofi/1 /usr hsfs ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navjotmannan
3 Replies

8. Solaris

what is the difference between /etc/mnttab and /etc/vfstab

what is the difference between /etc/mnttab and /etc/vfstab???? what are these files used for one time i removed mnttab file from my solaris box. infact i renamed it and my solaris box was not booting properly. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
12 Replies

9. Solaris

MNTTAB and NFS questions

SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise I have been asked to move all file from /CV to /EABATCH looking at our mnttab I see these two entries. wdcprodhome:/eabatch/EABATCH /EABATCH nfs nodevices,bg,intr,xattr,zone=cbp011,dev=5500010 1288539528 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/mnttab empty UNIXware 7.1.3

Hi Guys New to this forum so apologies if posted in wrong place. Got a unixware 7.1.3 system (I know !). df -k produces no output which I believe is because /etc/mnttab is empty. Can /etc/mnttab be re-built ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deel
2 Replies
mount_udfs(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    mount_udfs(1M)

NAME
mount_udfs - mount a udfs file system SYNOPSIS
mount -F udfs [generic_options] [-o specific_options] [-O] special mount_point mount -F udfs [generic_options] [-o specific_options] [-O] special | mount_point DESCRIPTION
The mount utility attaches a udfs file system to the file system hierarchy at the mount_point, which is the pathname of a directory. If mount_point has any contents prior to the mount operation, these are hidden until the file system is unmounted. If mount is invoked with either special or mount_point as the only arguments, mount searches /etc/vfstab to fill in the missing arguments, including the specific_options. See mount(1M). If special and mount_point are specified without any specific_options, the default is rw. If the directory on which a file system is to be mounted is a symbolic link, the file system is mounted on the directory to which the sym- bolic link refers, rather than on top of the symbolic link itself. OPTIONS
See mount(1M) for the list of supported generic_options. The following options are supported: -o specific_options Specify udfs file system specific options in a comma-separated list with no intervening spaces. The following spe- cific_options are available: m Mount the file system without making an entry in /etc/mnttab. remount Remount the file system as read-write. The option is used in conjunction with the rw option. A file system mounted read-only can be remounted as read-write. This option fails if the file system is not currently mounted. -O Overlay mount. Allow the file system to be mounted over an existing mount point, making the underlying file system inaccessible. If a mount is attempted on a pre-existing mount point without setting this flag, the mount fails, producing the error device busy. FILES
/etc/mnttab Table of mounted file systems /etc/vfstab List of default parameters for each file system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWudf | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), fsck_udfs(1M), mount(1M), mountall(1M), mount(2), mnttab(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
not super user The command is run by a non-root user. Run as root. no such device The device name specified does not exist. not a directory The specified mount point is not a directory. is not an udfs file system The device specified does not contain a udf 1.50 file system or the udfs file system module is not available. is already mounted The specified device is already in use. not a block device The device specified is not a block device. Use block device to mount. write-protected The device is read-only. is corrupted. needs checking The file system is in an inconsistent state. Run fsck. NOTES
Copy-protected files can be stored on DVD-ROM media using Universal Disk Format (UDF). Reading these copy-protected files is not possible as this involves an authentication process. Unless an authentication process between the host and the drive is completed, reading these copy-protected files after mounting and before the authentication process, returns an error. SunOS 5.10 24 Nov 2003 mount_udfs(1M)