Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y" Post 302394120 by JamesCarter on Thursday 11th of February 2010 07:41:44 AM
Old 02-11-2010
"du -sh $1" gives the size of the directory. My idea was to = this size with an argument.

@Krabu

Crontab was the next step.
@Vbe
sry that there were no comments in the scrypt just getting started, i will try to comment more.

and yes I need third Argument $3 you right.

---------- Post updated 02-11-10 at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous update was 02-10-10 at 01:07 PM ----------

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# shows size of the directory $1 in kb (-ks), can be cahnged into -mb for #example for Megabytes

size=$(du -ks $1 | awk '{print $1}')

#Compares the Size with your max input size $2

if [ $size -gt $2 ];
then

#if greater deletes all files older than $3 days in directory $1 and it´s #subdirectories

find $1 -mtime +$3 -exec rm -f {} \;
echo "Files older than $3 days deleted"
else
echo "free Space available"
fi

works now for me. thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for delete tmp files older than 15 days and owned by "xxx" id

Hi All , I want to delete files from /tmp directory created by "xxxx" id. because i got the list says more than 60 thousand files were created by "xxxx" id since 2002. The /tmp directory has lot of files created by different user ids like root,system etc.. But, i need a script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vparunkumar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

look for file size greater than "0" of specific pattern and move those to another directory

Hi , i have some files of specific pattern ...i need to look for files which are having size greater than zero and move those files to another directory.. Ex... abc_0702, abc_0709, abc_782 abc_1234 ...etc need to find out which is having the size >0 and move those to target directory..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
SYSSTAT(5)							Linux User's Manual							SYSSTAT(5)

NAME
sysstat - sysstat configuration file. DESCRIPTION
This file is read by sa1(8) and sa2(8) shell scripts from the sysstat's set of tools. It consists of a sequence of shell variable assign- ments used to configure sysstat logging. The variables and their meanings are: HISTORY The number of days during which a daily data file or a report should be kept. Data files or reports older than this number of days will be removed by the sa2(8) shell script. COMPRESSAFTER Number of days after which daily data files are to be compressed, either by gzip or bzip2. SADC_OPTIONS Options that should be passed to sadc(8). With these options (see sadc(8) manual page), you can select some additional data which are going to be saved in daily data files. These options are used only when a new data file is created. They will be ignored with an already existing one. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/sysstat AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard (sysstat <at> orange.fr) SEE ALSO
sadc(8), sa1(8), sa2(8) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux SEPTEMBER 2010 SYSSTAT(5)