Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y" Post 302394120 by JamesCarter on Thursday 11th of February 2010 07:41:44 AM
Old 02-11-2010
"du -sh $1" gives the size of the directory. My idea was to = this size with an argument.

@Krabu

Crontab was the next step.
@Vbe
sry that there were no comments in the scrypt just getting started, i will try to comment more.

and yes I need third Argument $3 you right.

---------- Post updated 02-11-10 at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous update was 02-10-10 at 01:07 PM ----------

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# shows size of the directory $1 in kb (-ks), can be cahnged into -mb for #example for Megabytes

size=$(du -ks $1 | awk '{print $1}')

#Compares the Size with your max input size $2

if [ $size -gt $2 ];
then

#if greater deletes all files older than $3 days in directory $1 and it´s #subdirectories

find $1 -mtime +$3 -exec rm -f {} \;
echo "Files older than $3 days deleted"
else
echo "free Space available"
fi

works now for me. thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for delete tmp files older than 15 days and owned by "xxx" id

Hi All , I want to delete files from /tmp directory created by "xxxx" id. because i got the list says more than 60 thousand files were created by "xxxx" id since 2002. The /tmp directory has lot of files created by different user ids like root,system etc.. But, i need a script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vparunkumar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

look for file size greater than "0" of specific pattern and move those to another directory

Hi , i have some files of specific pattern ...i need to look for files which are having size greater than zero and move those files to another directory.. Ex... abc_0702, abc_0709, abc_782 abc_1234 ...etc need to find out which is having the size >0 and move those to target directory..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
uucleanup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     uucleanup(1M)

NAME
uucleanup - uucp spool directory clean-up SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/uucp/uucleanup [-Ctime] [-Dtime] [-mstring] [-otime] [-ssystem] [-Wtime] [-xdebug-level] [-Xtime] DESCRIPTION
uucleanup will scan the spool directories for old files and take appropriate action to remove them in a useful way: o Inform the requester of send/receive requests for systems that can not be reached. o Return undeliverable mail to the sender. o Deliver rnews files addressed to the local system. o Remove all other files. In addition, there is a provision to warn users of requests that have been waiting for a given number of days (default 1 day). Note: uucle- anup will process as if all option times were specified to the default values unless time is specifically set. This program is typically started by the shell uudemon.cleanup, which should be started by cron(1M). OPTIONS
-Ctime Remove any C. files greater or equal to time days old and send appropriate information to the requester (default 7 days). -Dtime Remove any D. files greater or equal to time days old, make an attempt to deliver mail messages, and execute rnews when appropriate (default 7 days). -mstring Include string in the warning message generated by the -W option. The default line is "See your local administrator to locate the problem". -otime Delete other files whose age is more than time days (default 2 days). -ssystem Execute for system spool directory only. -Wtime Any C. files equal to time days old will cause a mail message to be sent to the requester warning about the delay in con- tacting the remote. The message includes the JOBID, and in the case of mail, the mail message. The administrator may include a message line telling whom to call to check the problem (-m option) (default 1 day). -xdebug-level Produce debugging output on standard ouput. debug-level is a single digit between 0 and 9; higher numbers give more detailed debugging information. (This option may not be available on all systems.) -Xtime Any X. files greater or equal to time days old will be removed. The D. files are probably not present (if they were, the X. could get executed). But if there are D. files, they will be taken care of by D. processing (default 2 days). FILES
/usr/lib/uucp directory with commands used by uucleanup internally /var/spool/uucp spool directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbnuu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uucp(1C), uux(1C), cron(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 19 May 1993 uucleanup(1M)