Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare File Differences in different directories Post 302393764 by methyl on Tuesday 9th of February 2010 02:01:05 PM
Old 02-09-2010
Ignoring the MSDOS/unix line terminator issue which you have resolved.

This script is faulty because the input should either come from an inward redirect "<" or from a pipe "while read" but not both!:

Quote:
find . -type f -name "*asp" > mylist

cat mylist | while read line
do
echo "Next file is: $line"
done < $line
Code:
It would be better as:

find . -type f -name "*asp" while read line
do
done

Or alternatively in the POSIX manner.

find . -type f -name "*asp" > mylist

while read line
do
done < mylist

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

du -s -k differences between two identical directories

I tarred a directory from a linux server to a solaris server. When I do a du -s -k on the directory, I get almost 150k difference in the file sizes. If I do a ls | wc -l, it is the same. If I look at the size of the individual files, it is the same. I did an ls on the 2 directories and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare File Names in Different Directories...

I do not know much about shell scripting and need to create a script and I am at a loss. If someone can help me, that would be great!! I have two directories: /dir1 /dir2 I need to get the sequence number which is part of the filename in /dir1 and delete all files in /dir2 that are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stky13
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and Only show the differences

Hi experts, I'mvery new to shell scripting and learning it now currently i am having a problem which may look easy to u :) i have two files File 1: Start :Thu Nov 19 10:33:09 2009 ABCDGFSDJ.txt APDemoNew.ppt APDemoOutline.doc ARDemoNew.ppt ARDemoOutline.doc File 2: Start... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: CelvinSaran
10 Replies

4. HP-UX

Compare 2 systems to find any differences

Hi there, I have 2 machines running HP-UX. One off these controllers is able to send mail and the other cannot. I have looked at all the settings that I know and coannot find any differences. Is there a way to audit the 2 machinces by pulling all the settings then compare any differences? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodey
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 directories

Hi, I am trying to write a script under ksh to list all the differences between two directories. For example: # ls test1 test2 I need to compare all the files under between test1 & test2. When I do diff, it only compares the diectoires but it doesn't check inside. I did do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare and merging the differences in text file

Hi i have gone through some sdiff command it shows the differences side by side and its really awesome file 1: this tool is for checking the differ merging with flower pots documentation file 2: this t ool is for checking the differ mergin g with flower pots documentation ... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
27 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare the two files and list out differences between the two

Hi, I need to compare the two files and list out difference between the two. Please assist. Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
DH_DI_NUMBERS(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_DI_NUMBERS(1)

NAME
dh_di_numbers - install numbered scripts into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_di_numbers [debhelper options] [dir [...] dest] DESCRIPTION
dh_di_numbers is a debhelper program that installs directories of numbered scripts into package build directories. Within each directory, there should be a "_numbers" file in which each line contains at least two space-separated fields. The first field in each line is a two-digit number, which will be prefixed to the entry name to provide ordering within the directory; the second is the entry name, which must correspond to a file or directory alongside the "_numbers" file; and the third field, if present, is another two- digit number which identifies another entry with the same entry name to which this entry should be a symlink. Any additional directory names specified as parameters will be installed in the package build directory of the first package dh_di_numbers is told to act on. By default, this is the first binary package in debian/control, but if you use -p, -i, or -a flags, it will be the first package specified by those flags. FILES
debian/package.di-numbers List the directories to install into each package and the directory they should be installed to. The format is a set of lines, where each line lists a directory or directories to install, and at the end of the line tells the directory they should be installed in. The name of the directories to install should be given relative to the current directory, while the installation directory is given relative to the package build directory. You may use wildcards in the names of the files to install (in v3 mode and above). OPTIONS
dir [...] dest Lists directories to install and where to install them to. The files will be installed into the first package dh_di_numbers acts on. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of dh-di. AUTHOR
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> 3 2009-09-16 DH_DI_NUMBERS(1)