Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Why can't I save a VI file after entering data? Post 302393758 by chinnanji on Tuesday 9th of February 2010 01:44:36 PM
Old 02-09-2010
Hi thanks for the explaination. sorry to ask again.

how to change the permissions on directories that are being created.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can ZFS Save my Data

Hello, Our RAID and server recently crashed and we are trying to recover our data. The problem appears to be that the Veritas File System/Logical Volume Manger became corrupt on our RAID. We are down to our last option, which is to run some Veritas commands that "may" result in data loss. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stringman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data fetched from text file and save in a csv file

Hi i have wriiten a script which fetches the data from text file, and saves in the output in a text file itself, but i want that the output should save in different columns. I have the output like: For Channel:response_time__24.txt 1547 data points 0.339 0.299 0.448 0.581 7.380 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitkalia
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

select data from oracle table and save the output as csv file

Hi I need to execute a select statement in a solaris environment with oracle database. The select statement returns number of rows of data. I need the data to be inserted into a CSV file with proper format. For that we normally use "You have to select all your columns as one big string,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl-data from file save to multidimensional array

i have a file,like 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 i want to save it into an array. and then i want to get every element, because i want to use them to calculate. for example: i want to calculate 1 + 3. but i cannot reach my goal. open (FILE, "<", "number"); my @arr; while (<FILE>){ chomp;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp-zz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add data from 2 input files and save it in 1 output file

Hi, i have 2 input files which are file1.txt and file2.txt. I need to extract data from file1.txt and file2.txt and save it in file3.txt like example below:- File1.txt ID scrap1 Name scrap1 start 1 end 10 ID scrap2 Name scrap2 start 11 end ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Login delay after entering id (40 secs) same after entering pw

Hi all, I have just installed Solaris 10 on an old Fujitsu Primepower 650 which has been wiped clean. I haven't installed anything apart from the OS yet, so the machine is 99% idle. I get long delays when logging in, first after entering the id then another long delay after entering a valid... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: longjon
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Permissions and save to data

Hi all; I have the following code which gives me kind of what I need: #!/usr/bin/perl use Fcntl ':mode'; # if ($ARGV ne "") { $filename = $ARGV; } else { print "Please specify a file!\n"; exit; } # if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Text file input data and save it.

Hi Guys, I have blank file A.txt I will run the script xyz.sh First i want to open a.txt file... Now i will enter some data like XYZ ABC PQR .. Save it and keep continue my script.... END of my script. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to save a data of a file into a variable?

My requirement is to read a column data from a file & save it in a variable for each row & process it. I am using the below code- Leadlines="$TGTFILE/Error.txt">>$log_file while read line do id = ` echo $line | cut -d "," -f1 ` email = ` echo $line | cut -d "," -f2 ` ----------- done My... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get a data and save

If I have a A.log 1 Air Flow Monitor : 34.070 Degrees C 2 Air Flow Monitor : 41.730 Degrees C 3 Air Flow Monitor : 35.340 Degrees C 4 Air Flow Monitor : 33.370 Degrees C 5 Air Flow Monitor : 36.770 Degrees C 6 Air Flow Monitor : 45.910 Degrees C 7 Air Flow Monitor ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabercats
1 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)