Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare File Differences in different directories Post 302393746 by dmaday on Tuesday 9th of February 2010 01:41:38 PM
Old 02-09-2010
I am running this on a windows box using cygwin to run the script.

I tried the following:

Code:
find . -type f -name "*asp" > mylist

cat mylist | while read line
do
echo "Next file is: $line"
done < $line

I am getting the following errors:
Code:
$ sh textdiff4.sh
textdiff4.sh: line 7: $'\r': command not found
textdiff4.sh: line 11: syntax error near unexpected token `done'
textdiff4.sh: line 11: `done < $line'

I can do:
Code:
find . -type f -name "*asp" > mylist
cat mylist

and it executes just fine. For some reason it has to be some ID10T error on my part on why i can't get a simple loop to work Smilie

regards

---------- Post updated at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:48 AM ----------

Ok I finally figured it out. I am using notepad++ to create the files, I guess it is adding carriage return line feeds. I ran this command and it removed the carriage return line feeds and it now works

Code:
tr -d '\r' < your_file > newfile

Thanks for every ones help

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-09-2010 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

du -s -k differences between two identical directories

I tarred a directory from a linux server to a solaris server. When I do a du -s -k on the directory, I get almost 150k difference in the file sizes. If I do a ls | wc -l, it is the same. If I look at the size of the individual files, it is the same. I did an ls on the 2 directories and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare File Names in Different Directories...

I do not know much about shell scripting and need to create a script and I am at a loss. If someone can help me, that would be great!! I have two directories: /dir1 /dir2 I need to get the sequence number which is part of the filename in /dir1 and delete all files in /dir2 that are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stky13
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and Only show the differences

Hi experts, I'mvery new to shell scripting and learning it now currently i am having a problem which may look easy to u :) i have two files File 1: Start :Thu Nov 19 10:33:09 2009 ABCDGFSDJ.txt APDemoNew.ppt APDemoOutline.doc ARDemoNew.ppt ARDemoOutline.doc File 2: Start... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: CelvinSaran
10 Replies

4. HP-UX

Compare 2 systems to find any differences

Hi there, I have 2 machines running HP-UX. One off these controllers is able to send mail and the other cannot. I have looked at all the settings that I know and coannot find any differences. Is there a way to audit the 2 machinces by pulling all the settings then compare any differences? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodey
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 directories

Hi, I am trying to write a script under ksh to list all the differences between two directories. For example: # ls test1 test2 I need to compare all the files under between test1 & test2. When I do diff, it only compares the diectoires but it doesn't check inside. I did do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare and merging the differences in text file

Hi i have gone through some sdiff command it shows the differences side by side and its really awesome file 1: this tool is for checking the differ merging with flower pots documentation file 2: this t ool is for checking the differ mergin g with flower pots documentation ... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
27 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare the two files and list out differences between the two

Hi, I need to compare the two files and list out difference between the two. Please assist. Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
withlist(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       withlist(8)

NAME
withlist - General framework for interacting with a Mailman mailing list object. SYNOPSIS
withlist [options] listname [args ...] There are two ways to use this script: interactively or programmatically. Using it interactively allows you to play with, examine and mod- ify a MailList object from Python's interactive interpreter. When running interactively, a MailList object called `m' will be available in the global namespace. It also loads the class MailList into the global namespace. Programmatically, you can write a function to operate on a MailList object, and this script will take care of the housekeeping (see below for examples). In that case, the general usage syntax is: OPTIONS
-l, --lock Lock the list when opening. Normally the list is opened unlocked (e.g. for read-only operations). You can always lock the file after the fact by typing `m.Lock()' Note that if you use this option, you should explicitly call m.Save() before exiting, since the interpreter's clean up procedure will not automatically save changes to the MailList object (but it will unlock the list). -i, --interactive Leaves you at an interactive prompt after all other processing is complete. This is the default unless the -r option is given. -r [module.]callable, --run [module.]callable This can be used to run a script with the opened MailList object. This works by attempting to import module (which must already be accessible on your sys.path), and then calling callable from the module. callable can be a class or function; it is called with the MailList object as the first argument. If additional args are given on the command line, they are passed as subsequent positional args to the callable. Note that module. is optional; if it is omitted then a module with the name callable will be imported. The global variable `r' will be set to the results of this call. -a, --all This option only works with the -r option. Use this if you want to execute the script on all mailing lists. When you use -a you should not include a listname argument on the command line. The variable `r' will be a list of all the results. -q, --quiet Suppress all status messages. -h, --help Print a small help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Here's an example of how to use the -r option. Say you have a file in the Mailman installation directory called `listaddr.py', with the following two functions: def listaddr(mlist): print mlist.GetListEmail() def requestaddr(mlist): print mlist.GetRequestEmail() Now, from the command line you can print the list's posting address by running the following from the command line: % bin/withlist -r listaddr mylist Loading list: mylist (unlocked) Importing listaddr ... Running listaddr.listaddr() ... mylist@example.com And you can print the list's request address by running: % bin/withlist -r listaddr.requestaddr mylist Loading list: mylist (unlocked) Importing listaddr ... Running listaddr.requestaddr() ... mylist-request@example.com As another example, say you wanted to change the password for a particular user on a particular list. You could put the following function in a file called `changepw.py': from Mailman.Errors import NotAMemberError def changepw(mlist, addr, newpasswd): try: mlist.setMemberPassword(addr, newpasswd) mlist.Save() except NotAMemberError: print 'No address matched:', addr and run this from the command line: % bin/withlist -l -r changepw mylist somebody@example.org foobar AUTHOR
Author of Mailman is the Mailman Cabal, see http://www.list.org/ for information. This manpage is written for Debian by Bernd S. Brentrup <bsb@debian.org>, but may be used by others. SEE ALSO
Mailman documentation on http://www.list.org/ and in /usr/share/doc/mailman. 2007-07-14 withlist(8)