Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Configuring Linux as a firewall Post 302393557 by u.n.i.x on Tuesday 9th of February 2010 11:42:53 PM
Old 02-10-2010
actually my prime importance is to authenticate each and every connection made to my server outside my private lan i.e. from internet.

---------- Post updated 02-10-10 at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous update was 02-09-10 at 04:22 PM ----------

i am posting again my question in more detail again

i have a linux enterprise server running oracle apps and other services. i have opened a port in the router in such a way that i am able to access my server remotely from internet.

now i want a package or settings that would grant access to people who i want by giving them additional password and usernames as i cannot track their ip`s as they keep changing dynamically as they log in from datacards nor i can use mac based configuration of firewall.

so now i need a system that would be common for all the users using any software like putty or toad or any package to acess my server. it should use basically some authentication technique.

i thought of using private and public key but it will work only with putty and not with toad..

i have heared about freeradius but i am not able to use it as i am not getting any proper notes or documentation which i can follow...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to configure a linux box as a firewall using iptables

I have already compiled the kernel and configured it to run as a firewall. My computer has 2 NICs and is on two seperate networks. I can ping both networks from my computer, but workstations on one network can not ping workstations on the other. What Scripts or commands do I need to install ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deuce
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

configuring more than one ip for an inteface pemanently (linux)

Hi does anybody know how we can add more than one ip for NIC(in Redhat Linux 7.2)? i usually do it by using this command ifconfig eth0 add <ip addresss> netmask <..............> up or ; ip address add 192.168.20.1/24 dev eth0 or adding it manually to file in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hessam
12 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Linux Firewall

Does anyone know where I can find some Documentation on building a linux firewall. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

Linux Firewall

ON A LINUX NETWORK, HOW DO I ASSIGN IP ADDRESSES TO OTHER TERMINALS AND AFTER THAT HOW I CAN DENY/GRANT ACCESS TO TERMINALS ON A LAN TO MY TERMINAL.PLEASE SPECIFY THE EXACT COMMANDS.kINDLY HELP ME (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya_shaligram
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

linux firewall

could anybody please tell me the best fire wall for linux . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux firewall / dns issue

I have set up a linux (red hat 9) box as my main internet router. I am also running a DNS server on it. What are the rules i have to implement to allow DNS queries through the firewall from outside so that the outside world can see my domains? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

configuring 2-gateways in linux

Hi, I want to configure 2-gateways in Linux . Please tell me how I can achieve this. I am accesing 2-internet connection through these 2-gateways. So I am looking that if 1-gets down then also other one is working. Regards JAGDISH (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Configuring SNMP in linux

I am trying to enabling SNMP access and trap forwarding for Linux(RHEL5) using following official url from IBM. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r2/index.jsp?topic=/diricinfo/fqm0_t_enabling_snmp_access_and_trap_forwarding_for_linux.html In my system, snmp and snmplibs are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SiddhV
1 Replies

9. Linux

Linux and SCO ppp, firewall issue?

I' m playng a little retrocomputing. I have setup a virtual machine with SCO unix(3.2v4.2) on qemu The machine start, the novell2000 card(ne2k_pci,ne2k_isa) unfortunately not,probably driver issue. So I try the slirp with this procedure On SCO netconfig add chain..sl ..etc On... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
2 Replies
ssh-socks5-proxy-connect(1)					   User Commands				       ssh-socks5-proxy-connect(1)

NAME
ssh-socks5-proxy-connect - Secure Shell proxy for SOCKS5 SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect [-h socks5_proxy_host] [-p socks5_proxy_port] connect_host connect_port DESCRIPTION
A proxy command for ssh(1) that uses SOCKS5 (RFC 1928). Typical use is where connections external to a network are only allowed via a socks gateway server. This proxy command does not provide any of the SOCKS5 authentication mechanisms defined in RFC 1928. Only anonymous connections are possi- ble. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -h socks5_proxy_host Specifies the proxy web server through which to connect. Overrides the SOCKS5_SERVER environment variable. -p socks5_proxy_port Specifies the port on which the proxy web server runs. If not specified, port 80 is assumed. Overrides the SOCKS5_PORT environment variable. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: socks5_proxy_host The host name or IP address (IPv4 or IPv6) of the proxy. socks5_proxy_port The numeric port number to connect to on socks5_proxy_host. connect_host The name of the remote host to which the socks gateway is to connect you. connect_port The numeric port number of the socks gateway to connect you to on connect_host. EXAMPLES
The recommended way to use a proxy connection command is to configure the ProxyCommand in ssh_config(4) (see Example 1 and Example 2). Example 3 shows how the proxy command can be specified on the command line when running ssh(1). Example 1: Setting the proxy from the environment The following example uses ssh-socks5-proxy-connect in ssh_config(4) when the proxy is set from the environment: Host playtime.foo.com ProxyCommand /usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect playtime.foo.com 22 Example 2: Overriding proxy environment variables The following example uses ssh-socks5-proxy-connect in ssh_config(4) to override (or if not set) proxy environment variables: Host playtime.foo.com ProxyCommand /usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect -h socks-gw -p 1080 playtime.foo.com 22 Example 3: Using the command line The following example uses ssh-socks5-proxy-connect from the ssh(1) command line: example$ ssh -o'ProxyCommand=/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect -h socks-gw -p 1080 playtime.foo.com 22' playtime.foo.com ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SOCKS5_SERVER Takes socks5_proxy_host operand to specify the default proxy host. SOCKS5_PORT Takes socks5_proxy_port operand to specify the default proxy port. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsshu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-http-proxy-connect(1), ssh_config(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 30 Oct 2002 ssh-socks5-proxy-connect(1)