Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Configuring Linux as a firewall Post 302393466 by pludi on Tuesday 9th of February 2010 01:07:59 AM
Old 02-09-2010
Another one would be Coyote Linux. And you're still confusing technologies. RADIUS (and by deduction, FreeRADIUS) have nothing to do with how a firewall works.

What you want is a firewall (only allow connections from certain IPs to certain ports) / gateway (communicate between different networks and allow a certain amount of connections between them).

You would need RADIUS if you'd have a modem/DSL pool, which your customers/employees use to connect to you and you'd want to authenticate them. While the two technologies are often used together, they're doing two different things.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to configure a linux box as a firewall using iptables

I have already compiled the kernel and configured it to run as a firewall. My computer has 2 NICs and is on two seperate networks. I can ping both networks from my computer, but workstations on one network can not ping workstations on the other. What Scripts or commands do I need to install ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deuce
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

configuring more than one ip for an inteface pemanently (linux)

Hi does anybody know how we can add more than one ip for NIC(in Redhat Linux 7.2)? i usually do it by using this command ifconfig eth0 add <ip addresss> netmask <..............> up or ; ip address add 192.168.20.1/24 dev eth0 or adding it manually to file in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hessam
12 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Linux Firewall

Does anyone know where I can find some Documentation on building a linux firewall. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

Linux Firewall

ON A LINUX NETWORK, HOW DO I ASSIGN IP ADDRESSES TO OTHER TERMINALS AND AFTER THAT HOW I CAN DENY/GRANT ACCESS TO TERMINALS ON A LAN TO MY TERMINAL.PLEASE SPECIFY THE EXACT COMMANDS.kINDLY HELP ME (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya_shaligram
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

linux firewall

could anybody please tell me the best fire wall for linux . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux firewall / dns issue

I have set up a linux (red hat 9) box as my main internet router. I am also running a DNS server on it. What are the rules i have to implement to allow DNS queries through the firewall from outside so that the outside world can see my domains? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

configuring 2-gateways in linux

Hi, I want to configure 2-gateways in Linux . Please tell me how I can achieve this. I am accesing 2-internet connection through these 2-gateways. So I am looking that if 1-gets down then also other one is working. Regards JAGDISH (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Configuring SNMP in linux

I am trying to enabling SNMP access and trap forwarding for Linux(RHEL5) using following official url from IBM. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r2/index.jsp?topic=/diricinfo/fqm0_t_enabling_snmp_access_and_trap_forwarding_for_linux.html In my system, snmp and snmplibs are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SiddhV
1 Replies

9. Linux

Linux and SCO ppp, firewall issue?

I' m playng a little retrocomputing. I have setup a virtual machine with SCO unix(3.2v4.2) on qemu The machine start, the novell2000 card(ne2k_pci,ne2k_isa) unfortunately not,probably driver issue. So I try the slirp with this procedure On SCO netconfig add chain..sl ..etc On... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
2 Replies
squid_radius_auth(8)					      System Manager's Manual					      squid_radius_auth(8)

NAME
squid_radius_auth - Squid RADIUS authentication helper SYNOPSIS
squid_radius_auth -f configfile squid_radius_auth -h "server" [-p port] [-i identifier] -w secret DESCRIPTION
This helper allows Squid to connect to a RADIUS server to validate the user name and password of Basic HTTP authentication. -f configfile Specifies the path to a configuration file. See the CONFIGURATION section for details. -h server Alternative method of specifying the server to connect to -p port Specify another server port where the RADIUS server listens for requests if different from the default RADIUS port. Normally not specified. -i identifier Unique identifier identifying this Squid proxy to the RADIUS server. If not specified the IP address is used as to identify the proxy. -w secret Alternative method of specifying the shared secret. Using the configuration file is generally more secure and recommended. -t timeout RADIUS request timeout. Default 10 seconds. CONFIGURATION
The configuration specifies how the helper connects to RADIUS. The file contains a list of directives (one per line). Lines beginning with a # is ignored. server radiusserver specifies the name or address of the RADIUS server to connect to. secret somesecretstring specifies the shared RADIUS secret. identifier nameofserver specifies what the proxy should identify itsels as to the RADIUS server. This directive is optional. port portnumber Specifies the port number or service name where the helper should connect. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> squid_radius_auth is written by Marc van Selm <selm@cistron.nl> with contributions from Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> and many others QUESTIONS
Any questions on usage can be sent to Squid Users <squid-users@squid-cache.org>, or to your favorite RADIUS list/friend if the question is more related to RADIUS than Squid. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs or bug-fixes to Squid Bugs <squid-bugs@squid-cache.org> or ideas for new improvements to Squid Developers <squid-dev@squid- cache.org> SEE ALSO
RFC2058 - Remote Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS) Squid RADIUS Auth 7 August 2004 squid_radius_auth(8)