Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Find out process that crashed the server Post 302393417 by z1dane on Monday 8th of February 2010 05:55:45 PM
Old 02-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
My crystal ball tells me it was emacs. Smilie

But the process killed isn't necessarily the one that caused the out of memory condition. The kernel tries to identify it but when the whole system is memory starved, EVERYTHING is fighting for memory...
Ah point taken.

The system has 64 gigs of memory, and probably was using 30% of it before someone/something used it all up. What would emacs be doing?

I know it is possible in vi, since I once did a substitute command in vi on a big file and drained the memory.

---------- Post updated at 08:55 ---------- Previous update was at 08:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep9
debug0:2> eps() <Enter>
The eps() command will give you a process listing.

This works with SCO Unix boxes that have had a kernel panic.
I tried looking for the eps() command on my box, RHEL, but couldn't find it. Is it available on RHEL or just SCO Unix?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restarting a Crashed Process

Hello, I host a couple of Call of Duty gameing servers. There are some hackers who love the crash them. When they crash them it simply causes a segmentaion fault and kills the PID. I was wondering it you could help me write a script to simply restart the program after it has been crashed. The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the chid process id from given parent process id

how to find the chid process id from given parent process id.... (the chid process doesnot have sub processes inturn) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

old server crashed

Hello We had an old system designed in fortran that ran on a IBM RS6000 AIX 3.2 system. The person who designed is long gone. It was replaced with a completely different (non unix) system 6 years ago. We still used it for historical lookups of older information. Well yesterday it died. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billfaith
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How to find the process that is using the port 80 and apache server.

How to find the process that is using the port 80 and apache server. When i used the command 'netstat -a|grep 80' it given that port 80 is in listening mode. I had used the following command: telnet localhost 80 GET / I had got some HTML script. But when I accessed the GUI ( url is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshikrishnab
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the process in different server

suppose there are in 10 different server how can i know in which server a process (ex:oracle )is running (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Process does not dump any core files when crashed even if coredumpsize is unlimited

Hello Im using redhat and try to debug my application , its crashes and in strace I also see it has problems , but I can't see any core dump I configured all the limit ( im using .cshrc ) and it looks like this : cputime unlimited filesize unlimited datasize unlimited... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

What do you do right after a server crashed.

What do you check???? Thanks! JC (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

DNS server crashed

If Freebsd DNS server that served 100 people is crashed. How to move this 100 people to a new FreeBSD DNS server as quickly as possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIX_30
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 server crashed two times

Hi, I have two Solaris 10 servers. First server crashed last week (Monday) and second one crashed over the weekend. I have checked the logs such as /var/adm/messages, syslog and dmesg. So for I found none. My management wants to know why the server crashed. I need to come with some kind of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies
tnfxtract(1)							   User Commands						      tnfxtract(1)

NAME
tnfxtract - extract kernel probes output into a trace file SYNOPSIS
tnfxtract [ -d dumpfile -n namelist] tnf_file DESCRIPTION
The tnfxtract utility collects kernel trace output from an in-core buffer in the Solaris kernel, or from the memory image of a crashed sys- tem, and generates a binary TNF trace file like those produced directly by user programs being traced. Either both or neither of the -d and -n options must be specified. If neither is specified, trace output is extracted from the running ker- nel. If both are specified, the -d argument names the file containing the (crashed) system memory image, and the -n argument names the file containing the symbol table for the system memory image. The TNF trace file tnf_file produced is exactly the same size as the in-core buffer; it is essentially a snapshot of that buffer. It is legal to run tnfxtract while kernel tracing is active, i.e., while the in-core buffer is being written. tnfxtract insures that the output file it generates is low-level consistent, that is, that only whole probes are written out, and that internal data structures in the buffer are not corrupted because the buffer is being concurrently written. The TNF trace file generated is suitable as input to tnfdump(1), which will generate an ASCII file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d dumpfile Uses dumpfile as the system memory image, instead of the running kernel. The dumpfile is normally the path name of a file generated by the savecore utility. -n namelist Uses namelist as the file containing the symbol table information for the given dumpfile. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: tnf_file Output file generated by tnfxtract based on kernel trace output from an in-core buffer in the Solaris kernel. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Extracting probes from a running kernel Extract probes from the running kernel into ktrace.out: example% tnfxtract ktrace.out Example 2: Extracting probes from a kernel crash dump Extract probes from a kernel crash dump into ktrace.out: example% tnfxtract -d /var/crash/`uname -n`/vmcore.0 -n /var/crash/`uname -n`/unix.0 ktrace.out EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtnfc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
prex(1), tnfdump(1), savecore(1M), tnf_kernel_probes(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 19 Aug 2003 tnfxtract(1)