Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to replace numbers by string Post 302393226 by zaxxon on Monday 8th of February 2010 07:40:39 AM
Old 02-08-2010
Could try something like:

Code:
ls -1| while read LINE;
do
        mv "${LINE}" `echo $LINE| sed 's/1/One/g; s/2/Two/g'`
done

Three, Four, ... you have to add your own Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replace perl script error

I have written down a simple perl program to replace a string from a word file. My script does'nt seem to work. Any pointers to make it work will be appreciated. The code is given below. #!/usr/bin/perl while (<>) { open(FILE,$_); while (<FILE>) { s/This/I did it/g; }... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MobileUser
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a random string of numbers

Hi Can someone help me with this one? I have string.. (PROC_PROC_ID == 12183) <--PID is dynamic and i want to replace the PID number with whatever PID from /opt/hpws/apache32_2/logs/httpd.pid file. i'm having problem since the PID on the string is dynamic. It may be 2-5 digits or more. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace US numbers with European numbers

hey, I have a file with numbers in US notation (1,000,000.00) as well as european notation (1.000.000,00) i want all the numbers to be in european notation. the numbers are in a text file, so to prevent that the regex also changes the commas in a sentence/text i thought of: sed 's/,/\./'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FOBoy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Requesting help to replace a string by my bash script

Hello every1, I need help to replace a string in a file by my bash script. Find: log4j.appender.toLogFile.layout.ConversionPattern= %d %5p (%F:%L) - %m%n= %d %5p (%F:%L) - %m%n Replace: log4j.appender.toLogFile.layout.ConversionPattern= %d %5p (%F:%L) - %m%n I tried by sed, but kept... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: titanic4u
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to replace numbers on lines according to condition on the same line

hello everyone my file contains many records, the following is a sample: BEGIN ASX1500000050002010120000000308450201012000177 ASX1100002000000201012000000038450201012000220 ASX1600100005000201012000000038450020101200177 ASX1900100006000201067000000058450020101200177... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neemoze
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to perform string replace in shell script?

I have value like ABCDEF,BBCCDD in a shell variable, now i would like to have ABQWEF,BBQWDD in the same shell variable. How can i replace the char at position 3&4 with QW in shell script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string ids with unique numbers

Hello, I have a file with a 1000 ids in the form of strings. I want to replace each id with a unique numbers in the whole file. each id is repeating in all the columns. I know I can use sed command but there are many ids in file which are need to be converted example of input file B752... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryan9011
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant figure out the error in this script (adding numbers in a string) using ubantu shell

hii please help me this is the script num=$1 sum=0 while do x=`expr $num % 10` sum=`expr $sum + $x` num=`expr $num / 10` done echo "Summation is $sum" it is giving error pratyush@ubuntu:~$ sh shell.sh 123 shell.sh: 11: 123: not found Summation is 0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratyush Sakhle
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to replace a string with pattern read from a file

I have two files blocks.txt and rules.txt. In blocks.txt i have the following entries Linux1 Linux2 Linux3 ..... Linux10 In rules.txt i have the lines where a filename pattern starts like 'blk-name.*' I want to replace 'blk-name' with the names read from blocks.txt file I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jag02
2 Replies
RNANO(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RNANO(1)

NAME
rnano - Restricted mode for Nano's ANOther editor, an enhanced free Pico clone SYNOPSIS
rnano [OPTIONS] [[+LINE,COLUMN] FILE]... DESCRIPTION
This manual page briefly documents the rnano command. nano is a small, free and friendly editor which aims to replace Pico, the default editor included in the non-free Pine package. Rather than just copying Pico's look and feel, nano also implements some missing (or disabled by default) features in Pico, such as "search and replace" and "go to line and column number". rnano is a restricted version of nano, which only edits specific files and doesn't allow the user access to the filesystem or a command shell. In restricted mode, nano will not: o read or write to any file not specified on the command line; o read any nanorc files; o allow suspending; o allow a file to be appended to, prepended to, or saved under a different name; o use backup files or spell checking. OPTIONS
+LINE,COLUMN Places cursor at line number LINE and column number COLUMN (at least one of which must be specified) on startup, instead of the default of line 1, column 1. -? Same as -h (--help). -h (--help) Show a summary of command line options and exit. -V (--version) Show the current version number and exit. See the nano(1) manpage for the complete documentation of nano. BUGS
Please send any comments or bug reports to nano@nano-editor.org. The nano mailing list is available from nano-devel@gnu.org. To subscribe, email to nano-devel-request@gnu.org with a subject of "subscribe". HOMEPAGE
http://www.nano-editor.org/ AUTHOR
Chris Allegretta <chrisa@asty.org>, et al (see AUTHORS for details). This manual page was originally written by Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@kinkhorst.com>, for the Debian system (but may be used by others). August 23, 2007 version 2.0.0 RNANO(1)