Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk vs perl
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk vs perl Post 302392815 by pritish.sas on Friday 5th of February 2010 01:59:49 PM
Old 02-05-2010
awk vs perl

Code:
awk -F "|" '{print $2$3$4 upto $30}' file1 > file2

Same logic, i want to write it in perl

I tried
Code:
#!/bin/usr/perl 
my $line;
open FH, "<file1" or die " Can't open file $!";
open FH1, ">file2" or die "Can't open file ";
while (<FH1>){
    $line = (split /\|/,$_)[1,2,3,4....];
    print FH2 $line;
}
close(FH1);
close(FH2);

It didn't work like awk, what i want..
Please guide me
please tell which one is good in speed and performance in a a large file

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-05-2010 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK embeded PERL

Hello Guys, I am refering to this great forum once again for help. After various attempts at this, I am still failing to obtain the desire effect. I have to write a perl script which: 1- reads two values from the user (e.g name & passwd) 2- check each value against a file containing the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to perl convert

Dear Collegue Do anybody help me to convert this AWK script to Perl script { for (i = 2; i <= length ($0); i++) { x = substr($0, i , 1) if (c > 0) { b = b x if (x == "(") c++ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command with PERL

Hi All, My Input file looks like below: Input: 100,200,300 $fw=`head -1 test.csv | awk -F, '{print \$1}'`; $fw="'$fw" $fw="$fw'" print $fw Output:'100' I want the first field to be printed in single quotes ('') like above. I could get the ouptput but the problem is single... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkbuddy_1983
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or perl

hi all I am new to awk/perl I would appreciate it if you could help! how do I read a sub folder and their files. e.g. simulation/10ms/router1.dat, router2.dat,..., router16.dat simulation/100ms/router1.dat, router2.dat,..., router16.dat simulation/300ms/router1.dat,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmoses
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using perl grep and awk

I have a script to get server information i wrote in perl because i would like to learn it (and I use it for work). It works great, however i would like to know if there is a good way to reduce the following line. Sean (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - to -- PERL

DEAR ALL, i am using following command to fetch some records from more then 50000 files... command is taking more time .... can i have perl command for the same...( i am New to perl ) awk -F "|" '{ if($4==3244898 && $5==5000185) print $66}' *.DATA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

get value between <abc and > by perl, awk

Hi Everyone, cat 1.txt a <abc b vfff c 000> d 4444 the output is: <abcvfff000> by using perl or awk, can get the value betwee "<abc" and ">", assume 1.txt has lots of those tags, so the output can filter out all those values. Please advice. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and perl grouping.

Hello folks. After awk, i have decided to start to learn perl, and i need some help. I have following output : 1 a 1 b 2 k 2 f 3 s 3 p Now with awk i get desired output by issuing : awk ' { a = a FS $2 } END { for ( i in a) print i,a }' input 1 a b 2 k f 3 s p Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Peasant
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the equivalent of NR (awk) in perl?

Hello, I searched online; it seems that perl use $NR as NR in awk; however it does not work for me. For example, how to re-write the following awk using perl: awk '{ print NR}' inputfile---------- Post updated at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:49 PM ---------- I found... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlewenwen
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Converting awk to perl

Hello. I'm trying to convert an awk script I wrote to perl (which I just started self-teaching). I tried the a2p command but I couldn't make sense of most of it. Here was the awk code: BEGIN{ FS = "," print "NAME\tLOW\tHIGH\tAVERAGE" a=0 } { if(a==0){ a+=1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)