Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash - define a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash - define a variable Post 302392580 by jolecanard on Thursday 4th of February 2010 10:37:16 PM
Old 02-04-2010
bash - define a variable

Hello,

I would like to define a variable based on another variable:
Code:
a=5
b$a=100

This does not work. What is the right way to do it?

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:33 PM ----------

Found my answer with the search function (did not work when I posted).

How can I remove this thread?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep to Define a Variable

I am using korn shell unix. I have a script that I am working with to do a check for me using a text file. #finds "Time" from the text file and cuts the second field from the #line A= grep Time test.txt | cut -f2 # the "#Missing" is being pulled from the second field of the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cspcspcsp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define two variable in foreach command??

Hello, I just want to know how If it's possiple to define 2 variable using foreach command ??? I have directory inside that directory around 1000 file, I want to rename all of this files to something I have it in a list. Example :- ------This is what in my directory---------- d1 d2... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

define length of variable

I have a variable with a value of "05". When I add one to that variable, using the command: CURR_YY=`expr $CURR_YY + 1`, I get the value of "6", losing the leading zero (which is needed for passing to another script). How do I keep the leading zero? Thank you! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbarker
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about define variable.

Hi, Unix Gurus, In our existing file, there is a script like #!/bin/sh step=${1:-0} cur_step=10 if ... My question is what's "${1:-0}" mean? I know it defines a variable but I don't know what's (1:-0) mean? :wall: Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Perl can i define a hash with value as variable?

Hi, Is it possible in perl to have a hash defined with variables as theirs key values, like: %account = ('username' => 'boy', 'password' => $password); Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define variable from file.

HI I have file A.txt _1A _2A _3A _4A I want define all as different variable. $1A=_1A $2B=_2A $3C=_3A $4D=_4A Now i can use any variable in my script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable in a BASH script by using a JSON file online?

Hello, I would like to modify an existing script of mine that uses a manually defined "MCVERSION" variable and make it define that variable instead based on this JSON file stored online: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/versions.json Within that JSON, I 'm looking for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to prompt user to define a variable?

Hi everyone, Is it possible to define blank vaianbles and prompt user to fill them during the script execution? A very simple example: INPUT= OUTPUT= cut -f1-4 $INPUT | sed 's/hello/goodbye/g' | sort -uV > $OUTPUTThank you in advance! Best wishes (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
2 Replies
DOCKER(1)						      General Commands Manual							 DOCKER(1)

NAME
docker - System tray for KDE3/GNOME2 docklet applications SYNOPSIS
docker [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the docker command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original pro- gram does not have a manual page. docker is a docking application (WindowMaker dock app) which acts as a system tray for KDE3 and GNOME2. It can be used to replace the panel in either environment, allowing you to have a system tray without running the KDE/GNOME panel. Docker was written and designed to work with Openbox 2, but it should work fine in any window manager that supports WindowMaker dock apps. OPTIONS
-h-help Show summary of options. -display DISPLAY The X display to connect to. -border N The width of the border to put around the system tray icons. Defaults to 1. -vertical Line up the icons vertically. Defaults to horizontally. -wmaker WindowMaker mode. This makes docker a fixed size (64x64) to appear nicely in in WindowMaker. Note: In this mode, you have a fixed number of icons that docker can hold. -iconsize SIZE The size (width and height and height) to display icons as in the system tray. Defaults to 24. -color COLOR The background color to use for the tray. Defaults to whatever color the window manager specifies. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Ari Pollak <ari@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). November 2, 2002 DOCKER(1)