Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) I accidentally changed to only write permission on /usr/bin... please Help! Post 302392478 by scaryMac23 on Thursday 4th of February 2010 01:38:58 PM
Old 02-04-2010
Cheers! It worked wonderfully Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies

2. Solaris

changed shell of the root accidentally

Hi All, I have changed the shell of the root accidentally to /sbin/bash :mad: How do I change that? :( To change that I need to go to ok prompt I think, and there I need to mount the root file system in order to make changes to the respective file. Can any one please suggest how do I do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintu_asim
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ?

Hi All, Can somebody tell me the difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ? Thanx in advance, Saneesh Joseph (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
3 Replies

4. Solaris

/usr/bin has been changed with 777 permission

Hello Guruz, Relay bad condition :mad: Some has changed the permission to 777 recursively for /usr/bin directory by mistake. Now all the permission looks to be 777 on /usr/bin Hence I am so many system related errors as 1 show below. When I am trying to change the password, I am getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

5. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Accidentally changed ownership-unable to SSH into server.

Hi All, Accidentally changed ownership of /var directory as root :eek: thinking that I am changing ownership of var directory in other location in the file system:D.Now unable to SSH into the server:(. By gods grace I was able to regain the access again as server was in control of me at that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
5 Replies

9. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies
fddist(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							fddist(1m)

NAME
fddist - file descriptor usage distributions. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
fddist [-r|-w] DESCRIPTION
This prints distributions for read and write events by file descriptor, by process. This can be used to determine which file descriptor a process is doing the most I/O with. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-r reads only -w writes only EXAMPLES
Sample both read and write activity, # fddist Sample reads only, # fddist -r FIELDS
EXEC process name PID process ID value file descriptor count number of events BASED ON
/usr/demo/dtrace/lquantize.d DOCUMENTATION
DTrace Guide "Aggregations" chapter (docs.sun.com) See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
fddist will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M) version 0.70 Jun 08, 2005 fddist(1m)