Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Remove repetitive alphabets Post 302392143 by anbu23 on Wednesday 3rd of February 2010 12:15:06 PM
Old 02-03-2010
It is working for me.
Code:
$ cat file
ZZZIBM Corporation
ZZZIBM Corporation ZZZZZ
IBM ZZZ Corporation
$ sed "s/^\(.\)\1\{1,\}//;s/\(.\)\1\{1,\}$//" file
IBM Corporation
IBM Corporation
IBM ZZZ Corporation

What is your output of sed command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repetitive Tasks

Could someone tell me how I can simplify the script that follows!!! I know that there must be a way how to grep Average from sar01.................. sar02 ....................... sar03....................... sar04... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JairGuerra
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting only Alphabets from a value

Hi, I have file name (abcd001). I want to extract on the alphabets from this file name. I don't want the numeric part of it. Once i extract the alphabets the i can search for all those file. Could anyone help on this. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkhiare
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting the last 2 alphabets in the words

Hi Guys, Bit new to Unix shell scripting so this question might seems little kiddish for you. what im trying to achieve here is : I have file which is compressed like Account_52320090605076_log.Z so in my shell script i call this file also as one of my parameters like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolrekz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for Alphabets

echo -n "read this also:" read NewAuthor if ]' ) ] ; then echo "its a digit" else echo "something else" fi Hey guys , i am trying to do a search to check if the input is using alphabets and nothing else. I tried using ] and ] but none seems to work When i use digit, it read 22.k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter certain number of alphabets

filter the ones (ex:>1279_17_27_F3) that have 50letters (ABABABACACACACACAADADADADABABABABAACACACACACACAACAC) in input. And others that are less than 50 have to be ignore and the ones with more than 50 have to trimmed to first 50 letters. Thanx >1279_16_1960_F3 A >1279_16_2010_F3 BCCC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruby_sgp
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter unique alphabets

Filter unique alphabets (bold) from input Thanx +SRR015270.1 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:653:875 length=32 SZZZZZZZZZZZZXZZZXZZZOECZZIZHUEM +SRR015270.2 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:455:450 length=32 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTT @SRR015270.3 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:453:499 length=32... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print combinations of alphabets in a sequence

Hi Friends, I have a series of alphabets like this AGCAA The values inside the square brace indicate that either of them can be present at that position. And those ones without a brace, means that they are the only ones that could be printed at that location. Now, I would like to know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace alphabets from certain positions

Hi all, I have column 2 full of values like HIVE4A-56 and HIVE4-56. I want to convert all values like HIVE4A-56 to HIVE4-56. So basically I want to delete all single alphabets before the '-' which is always preceded by a number. Values already in the desired format should remain unchanged... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ames1983
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove alphabets/special characters/space in the 5th field of a tab delimited file?

Thank you for 4 looking this post. We have a tab delimited file where we are facing problem in a lot of funny character. I have tried using awk but failed that is not working. In the 5th field ID which is supposed to be a integer only of that file, we are getting corrupted data as below. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srithar
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove repetitive lines in a file with sed?

Hello, My goal is the make all x times repeated lines into a single line. I need to attain the expected output with sed -i , I need to overwrite the MyFile MyFile: Hello World Welcome Hello World Welcome Back This is my test Expected output: Hello World Welcome Welcome Back This is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
FS_WHICHCELL(1) 					       AFS Command Reference						   FS_WHICHCELL(1)

NAME
fs_whichcell - Returns the cell to which a file or directory belongs SYNOPSIS
fs whichcell [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whi [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whichcell command returns the name of the cell in which the volume that houses each indicated directory or file resides. To display the file server machine on which the volume housing a directory or file resides, use the fs whichcell command. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. OPTIONS
-path Idir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the cell membership. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each directory or file, naming the cell to which the volume that houses the directory or file resides. EXAMPLES
The following example shows that the current working directory resides in a volume in the ABC Corporation cell: % fs whichcell File . lives in cell 'abc.com' PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_wscell(1), fs_whereis(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHICHCELL(1)