Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ftp: missing chown command
Top Forums Web Development ftp: missing chown command Post 302392109 by methyl on Wednesday 3rd of February 2010 11:02:08 AM
Old 02-03-2010
The ftp command set is not the same as the unix command set though there are many commands with the same name. The ftp command set is in "man ftpd" for the target computer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command missing

I am wondering if anyone knows a place where a person can download a command for the HP-UX 9.04 OS. The machine is just sitting around, and is not being used due to the fact that it is not Y2K compliant (or so the rumor goes). The command that does not exist is "reboot", which normally resides... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thekid
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Missing core file using ssh + command

On a 2.6.21 kernel (MontaVista, x86_pentium4), I'm failing to see expected "core.pid" files dropped. Consider this tiny program, "dumpcore.c": #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/prctl.h> int main( int argc, char ** argv ) { printf("dumpable = %d\n", prctl(... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kclittle
5 Replies

3. AIX

#emgr -l command output missing

Hi, I have recently started to patch all my AIX boxes. I have applied almost 28 interim fixes on those. i have the snaps of emgr -l out put showing all tha patch details and date on which those we applied. but after reboot, emgr -l comannd says "There is no efix data on this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepbodkhe
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing data in FTP file

Hello - I am FTPing file from remote unix box to my unix box. I am FTPing file around 2AM. some time, the complete fle is not ftping.. I am missing data in the FTP file. It happens few times in a month. Whenever, i miss the data, the file size is always 60106. The actual file size is not that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
4 Replies

5. AIX

Help Please - Command to view missing filesets in aix

Please anyone tell me "What is the command to view missing filesets in aix" Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:09 PM ---------- Please anyone tell me "What is the command to view missing filesets in aix" Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweetysiva29
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts how to handle missing '-' in command line args.

I'm using getopts to process command line args in a Bash script. The code looks like this: while getopts ":cfmvhs:t:" option; do case $option in c) operationMode="CHECK" ;; f) operationMode="FAST" ;; m) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for an awk command to print strings only if substring is missing

I have a file that I need to find each interface that has move-group on the interface line and print this line if the lines under the interface does Not have "filter-shared 14". Example file: interface 1/1/1/0 move-group decription one one one zero no shut filter-shared 14... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
21 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Missing FTP configuration files/commands

I was asked if I can create an FTP only user on a UNIX system I've inherited at work. (Solaris). I've worked on UNIX systems for a long time, but never really as an admin. I searched the web, and on this forum, for information on exactly how to do this. (The new user will also need to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HeyMoe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using chown command.

I am working on a test machine. I just discovered that I have misunderstood the way the following command is run. chown -Rv some_user:users /some_folder/*This command do exactly what I want. Change the owner of every things from the named folder and in all child folders. But of course it leave... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
13 Replies

10. AIX

Need command to find missing operating system security patches

Hi, Need a command to find out Missing operating system patches for AIX 7.1 or a command to list down all installed patches. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mona Khandelwal
1 Replies
CHOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  CHOWN(8)

NAME
chown -- change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ... chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chown utility changes the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified files. Symbolic links named by arguments are silently left unchanged unless -h is used. The options are as follows: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. -R Change the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified directory trees (recursively, including their contents) and files. Beware of unintentionally matching the ``..'' hard link to the parent directory when using wildcards like ``.*''. -f Do not report any failure to change file owner or group, nor modify the exit status to reflect such failures. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the user ID and/or the group ID of the link itself. -v Cause chown to be verbose, showing files as the owner is modified. If the -v flag is specified more than once, chown will print the filename, followed by the old and new numeric user/group ID. -x File system mount points are not traversed. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The owner and group operands are both optional, however, one must be specified. If the group operand is specified, it must be preceded by a colon (``:'') character. The owner may be either a numeric user ID or a user name. If a user name is also a numeric user ID, the operand is used as a user name. The group may be either a numeric group ID or a group name. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. The ownership of a file may only be altered by a super-user for obvious security reasons. EXIT STATUS
The chown utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. This has been changed to be a colon (``:'') character so that user and group names may contain the dot character. On previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have owners. The -v and -x options are non-standard and their use in scripts is not recommended. SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), find(1), chown(2), fts(3), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The chown utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compliant. HISTORY
A chown utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 21, 2010 BSD