Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Password Aging with Openssh 5.2 SFTP Subsystem Jail Post 302391734 by markdjones82 on Tuesday 2nd of February 2010 10:17:40 AM
Old 02-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
This area tends to be a can of worms. See this post for an example.

SecurityFocus Secure Shell: Re: password aging with sftp

Thanks FP, I just realized I didn't have UsePam enabled and you also have to set "ChallengeResponse...." to yes. It is working now!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

OpenSSH and password aging

Vesion 3.8.1 of OpenSSH has been compiled on a Solaris 8 host. I am having difficulties in enabling password aging to work from reading /etc/default/passwd and /etc/shadow. # passwd -f < user-id > works satisfactorily however once a password ages through due course from the settings in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raylen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password aging help

If the command passwd -f is used, Users get the below error. I need to force users to change there passwords at initial login. Anyone know what is going on? This is on a Non-Stop UX system UX:in.login: ERROR: Your password has been expired for too long UX:in.login: TO FIX: Consult your system... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password aging

hi experts this is regarding password aging i tried searching forum but i cudnt locate given a login id, i would like to determine whether password ageing has been enabled for that and for the login id whether password has been expired on a particular point of time Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: teletype_error
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

is there anyway of implementing password aging in NIS?

Hi , is there anyway of implementing password aging in NIS? I would say thanks in advance. Thanks and regards, HAA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HAA
1 Replies

5. AIX

SFTP Failed---Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0

Hi, While I am trying SFTP my machine to another unix machine , it was working fine till 10 min back. But now i am getting the below error "Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0" Could you please someone help me to solve or analyise the root cause... Cheers:b:, Mahiban (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahiban
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SFTP subsystem requests

Hi there, what is the meaning of this line: SFTP subsystem requests: 5 Time(s) in: /var/mail/root??? Tks in advance, GB (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SFTP Jail With Sun SSH Not OpenSSH

Hi all, I have a Solaris 10 server with SUN_SSH_1.1 installed. I want to restrict a user via SFTP to only be able to access one directory. I've written a little script in .profile which works perfectly for an ssh login but it appears sftp doesn't read the .profile file so it doesn't work. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
2 Replies

8. AIX

sftp : have to specify subsystem from client side

I have several ssh servers *running aix 5.3 and they respond to sftp requests just fine, but I have one that requires clients to specify the path to the sftp server using the -s flag which is*/usr/sbin/sftp-server I check the sshd_config across all servers and they are the same. *The other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: massdesign
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

sftp jail chroot env setup

Hi I need a specific user to be able to sftp to a server and get files from a specific location. The location is not the users home dir, i don't want the user to be able to view anything else apart from the files in that area. e.g ftp file are is - /logging/phplogs e.g user home is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duckeggs01
1 Replies

10. Linux

Linux password aging and ssh keys

Recently I have been playing with password ageing and the usage of ssh keys. I have found that if usePAM yes (default) is set in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file then any password ageing and inactiivity can adversely affect a client with ssh keys. For example: Set PASS_MAX_DAYS to 60 in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smurphy_it
5 Replies
dialups(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							dialups(4)

NAME
dialups, d_passwd - dialup security control DESCRIPTION
and are used to control the dialup security feature of (see login(1)). If is present, the first word on each line is compared with the name of the line upon which the login is being performed (including the as returned by (see ttyname(3C)). If the login is occurring on a line found in dialup security is invoked. Anything after a space or tab is ignored. When dialup security is invoked, requests an additional password, and checks it against that found in The command name found in the ``pro- gram to use as shell'' field of is used to select the password to be used. Each entry in consists of three fields, separated by colons. The first is the command name, matching an entry in The second is the encrypted password to be used for dialup security for those users logging in to use that program. The third is commentary, but the second colon is required to delimit the end of the password. A null password is designated with two adjacent colons. The entry for is used if no other entry matches the command name taken from FILES
dial-in tty lines passwords SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(4). dialups(4)