Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting match text from two files and write to a third file Post 302391625 by my_Perl on Tuesday 2nd of February 2010 04:05:08 AM
Old 02-02-2010
match text from two files and write to a third file

Hi all

I have two files X.txt and Y.txt. Both file contains same number of sentences. The content of X.txt is

Code:
The filter described above may be combined.

and the content of Y.txt is

Code:
The filter describ+ed above may be combin+ed.

Some of the words are separated with "+" symbol.
Some of the words are equal and some not.

The expected output is :

Code:
The|The|empty filter|filter|empty described|describ+ed above|above|empty may|may|empty be|be|empty combined|combin+ed.

For any matching word in the corresponding location of the corresponding sentences, the same word is copied and suffixed with the word "empty" with a "|" separation. But for unmatched word, print the words from X and Y separated by "|".

I want to write a Perl script. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by my_Perl; 02-02-2010 at 05:15 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace text in match files

Hi all, I want to replace text 'DEF' for those files containing text 'ABC'. I can only locate the files containing text 'ABC', but I don't know how to replace the text 'ABC' with 'DEF'. I use the following command to locate the files containing 'ABC' find . -exec grep -l 'ABC'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonchan1000
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find empty files in a directory and write their file names in a text?

I need to find empty files in a directory and write them into a text file. Directory will contain old files as well, i need to get the empty files for the last one hour only. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request to check: compare two files , match same entries, write data before it

Hi all, I have 2 files:Column1 of first file has to be matched with column 3 of second file first file contain DATA like this in 2 columns one with gene name second with whether CAD,HT,RA T2Dor any one column 1 column2 ARFGEF2 CAD DDEF2 CAD PSCD3 CAD PSCD4 CAD CAMK1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Pattern match and write to separate files

I need to parse a file and depending on a patern match(in the insert job line) separate files have to be created with a line added (content in file2). Mapping for pattern match and add line : for Alpha 123 for Beta 234 for Gamma 345 no match (goes into another file) File 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text between regexps and write into files based on a field in the text

Hi, I have a huge file that has data something like shown below: huge_file.txt start regexp Name=Name1 Title=Analyst Address=Address1 Department=Finance end regexp some text some text start regexp Name=Name2 Title=Controller Address=Address2 Department=Finance end regexp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r3d3
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text match in two files

Trying to match the text from file1 to file2 and print what matches in a new file (match.txt) and what does not in another (missing.txt). awk -F'|' 'NR==FNR{c++;next};c > 0' flugent.txt IDT.txt > match.txt Thank you :). (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text from file 1 to file 2 and return specific text

I hope this makes sense and is possible. I am trying to match $1 of panel_genes.txt with $3 of RefSeqGene.txt and when a match is found the value in $6 of RefSeqGene.txt Example: ACTA2 is $1 of panel_genes.txt ACTA2 NM_001613.2 ACTA2 NM_001141945.1 awk 'FNR==NR {... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display match or no match and write a text file to a directory

The below bash connects to a site, downloads a file, searches that file based of user input - could be multiple (all that seems to work). What I am not able to figure out is how to display on the screen match found or no match found" and write a file to a directory (C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\wget)... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
BOMSTRIP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       BOMSTRIP(1)

NAME
bomstrip, bomstrip-files -- strip the BOM sequence from UTF-8 files SYNOPSIS
bomstrip bomstrip-files file ... DESCRIPTION
The bomstrip utility reads UTF-8 data from its standard input and copies it to its standard output, stripping the BOM (byte-order mark) from the beginning of the text if it is present. There are no command-line options and no parameters. The bomstrip-files utility removes the UTF-8 BOM from the specified files, saving each file's original contents with a .bom extension. It uses the bomstrip utility, trying to execute it as ``bomstrip''; if the bomstrip utility is installed under another name, or if a more com- plex command is desired, it may be supplied in the BOMSTRIP environment variable. EXAMPLES
Strip the BOM, if present, from a text file: bomstrip < bom.txt > nobom.txt Strip the BOM, if present, from all text files, backing them up with a .bom extension: bomstrip-files *.txt Use the OCAML implementation of bomstrip: env BOMSTRIP='ocaml bomstrip.ocaml' bomstrip-files *.txt SEE ALSO
The bomstrip home page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~mechiel/projects/bomstrip/ HISTORY
The bomstrip utility (in many languages) was written by Mechiel Lukkien, with implementations in various languages sent to him by others, including Andreas Gohr, Andrew Gerrand, Berteun Damman, Matthijs Bomhoff, Peter Pentchev, and Ruben Smelik. The bomstrip-files utility and this manual page were written by Peter Pentchev in the hope that they reflect the behavior of all the bomstrip implementations in all lan- guages. AUTHORS
Mechiel Lukkien <mechiel@xs4all.nl> Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> BSD
June 14, 2008 BSD