Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX difference between AIx and Linux and Unix Post 302391536 by Padow on Monday 1st of February 2010 04:25:35 PM
Old 02-01-2010
As far as the commands go, many commands work similarly, but you will find that some of the switches will be different between UNIX flavors and Linux flavors.
Padow

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux?

Ok, I'm confused. Can someone answer these (stupid) questions please for me? 1. What is the difference between unix and linux? 2. Is FreeBSD a unix distribution? 3. If not, then what is Unix? I actually gone to Unix.com because I thought this is it's official website where I could download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RellioN
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

OK, I've used various versions of UNIX(Solaris, HPUX, etc..) over the years. Now the organization I work for is leaning towards more Linux based systems(Redhat, Suse, etc..) I do see differences in in comands and how to accomplish basic adminstration, but nothing mind blowing. So, what is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux OR Unix Whats The Difference!

What is the difference bettween linux and unix? Sorry but I am really new to this! :confused: Also are they BOTH free :-D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesthemagicia
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su command difference between unix and linux

Hello all the su with -l option is running normal with linux but when i try to run it on unix AIX 5.2.7 it's not working with -l option any help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX and Linux difference (character set)

I'm having a problem regarding the encoding of my files in Linux and AIX. I have a file which can be viewed both in Linux and AIX (via NetApp mount). When I checked the encoding, they have difference. In Linux, the file is encoded as ISO-8859 text. (checked by using "file" command).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jin_
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux

Hi I am new to linux I have dout waht is the difference between UNIX and LINUX Is there any soft for insatallation for UNIX OS Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaya
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Difference b/n AIX & Red Hat Linux Commands

Hi All, The scripts developed in AIX can be executed in Red Hat Linux too? Because, we are migrating OS from AIX to LINUX. Will there be any differences in commands? Thanks in advance!!! Regards, U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX to Linux command difference

Moving from AIX 6.1 to RHEL 6.6, I have noticed a few command differences. One that has been causing issue is a simple echo command when I have to use it this way -> "echo -e" On the AIX it outputs to "-e" but since RHEL has "-e" as an option for echo and hence it outputs to blank here. All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
3 Replies
GPT-PKG(8)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						GPT-PKG(8)

NAME
gpt-pkg - Creates flavored binary packages out of an installation SYNOPSIS
gpt-pkg [options] packages Options: -verbose Print copious output -help Print usage -man Print man page. -version Print GPT version. -native Create native pkgs as well as GPT pkgs (RPMs only). -all Archive everything in the package directory.. -installdir=PATH Override $GLOBUS_LOCATION -pkgdir=PATH Directory to put the packages -rpmprefix=PATH Absolute path encoded in the RPM. -buildnumber=NUMBER Build number used for pgm_static packages -rpmlicense=LABEL License Label added to the RPM header [packages] List of packages to be archived DESCRIPTION
gpt-pkg Creates binary packages from an installation. The installation needs to contain GPT packaging data files. An installation is created by running gpt-build on a collection of source packages or bundles. FILES IN PGM PACKAGES
Installed files such as executables that are found in pgm and ptm_static packages will overwrite one another when multiple flavors of the same package are built by gpt-build. To preserve multiple flavors of these files, gpt-build copies them into flavored subdirectories. For example, the program $GLOBUS_LOCATION/bin/foo will be copied into the location $GLOBUS_LOCATION/bin/gcc32/shared if it was built with dynamically with the gcc32 flavor. gpt-pkg retrieves these files and copies them back to their proper location before packaging them. Thus gpt-pkg will also overwrite these files as it archives the different flavors of a pgm package. OPTIONS
-installdir Specify the directory in which the installed files currently live. If this argument is not supplied, the value of the environment variable GLOBUS_LOCATION is used instead. -all Packages all of the binaries in an installation. -native Creates a package in the native packaging format. Currently only rpm is supported. -rpmprefix=<path_to_installation> This should be set to the path to your GLOBUS_LOCATION. GPT will use a value of "/usr/grid" if this option is not specified. -rpmlicense=<label> Provides an alternate copyright label for the rpms. The default is whatever GPT was configured with. -verbose Prints out all of the build messages. -log=FILE Appends all of the build messages to FILE. This option also sets -verbose. -help Print a brief help message and exits. -man Prints the manual page and exits. -version Prints the version of GPT and exits. pgm and pgm_static packages gpt-build copies the files for these packages in a flavored location because different flavors of these types of packages will conflict with each other. gpt-pkg restores these files when it packages pgm and pgm_static types. SEE ALSO
gpt-bundle(8) gpt-install(8) gpt-build(8) AUTHOR
Michael Bletzinger <mbletzin.ncsa.uiuc.edu> and Eric Blau <blau.mcs.anl.gov> perl v5.14.2 2012-04-30 GPT-PKG(8)