Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Questions regarding crontab entry Post 302391421 by rogerben on Monday 1st of February 2010 09:27:03 AM
Old 02-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hergp
The slash means, use only every n-th value, in your case every other month:
1-7/2 = 1 - 3 - 5 - 7
8-12/2 = 8 - 10 - 12

Only a few cron implementations use this notation. The Solaris cron does not.

thanks a lot.
rogerben

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab entry

hi all how to schedule a cron job running on last day of every third month at 12 midnight will the following work 0 0 30,31 3,6,9,12 * <required file> thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab entry

Sometimes cron really upsets me and I cant figure out these types of wierd dates, but how do I get cron to run something on every other sunday? I am running Solaris 8. -S (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sowser
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab Entry

Hi Everyone , have a nice day given below is the line i have added in crontab * * * * * /Rauf/script2.sh intended to run this script after every minute , when i run this script manually it runs fine and produces output , but after adding it to crontab ( like given above ) , it doesnt work ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dastard
5 Replies

4. AIX

crontab entry

Hi. I'm new to AIX and I need to create a crontab entry to run a script every first 5 business days of the month? please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
2 Replies

5. Solaris

crontab entry

How to set the crontab entry for every other Friday? Regards, Raj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajip23
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab entry

What should be the crontab entry for a script: to run at 3:00 AM EST Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

7. Solaris

crontab entry

hi i am new in solaris. i am accessing server through putty. i could not add entry in crontab. i have given "crontab -e" for add a new entry. It is not coming. what parameter i have to set for getting crontab -e thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

no utmpx entry and other questions

I have recently been assigned to help maintain some testing software on two UNIX stations. The stations are connected to instruments that supply power, signals, and take measurements from a box. Both test stations are basically the same. I was given a crash course (read a little training) a couple... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjstaff
18 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab entry

Is this the correct entry to touch a file on 6/6 5AM? 00 05 06 06 * touch /support/home/.no_copy Please use next time code tags for your code and data (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Me XMan
5 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to the instructions in the files /etc/crontab and /etc/crontab.local. None, either one, or both of these files may be present. Since cron never exits, it should only be executed once. This is best done by running cron from the initialization process through the file /etc/rc; see init(8). The crontab files consist of lines of seven fields each. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first five are integer patterns to specify: o minute (0-59) o hour (0-23) o day of the month (1-31) o month of the year (1-12) o day of the week (1-7 with 1 = Monday) Each of these patterns may contain: o a number in the range above o two numbers separated by a minus meaning a range inclusive o a list of numbers separated by commas meaning any of the numbers o an asterisk meaning all legal values The sixth field is a user name: the command will be run with that user's uid and permissions. The seventh field consists of all the text on a line following the sixth field, including spaces and tabs; this text is treated as a command which is executed by the Shell at the specified times. A percent character (``%'') in this field is translated to a new-line character. Both crontab files are checked by cron every minute, on the minute. FILES
/etc/crontab /etc/crontab.local 7th Edition October 23, 1996 CRON(8)