Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find something inside a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find something inside a file Post 302391261 by TonyFullerMalv on Sunday 31st of January 2010 05:03:44 PM
Old 01-31-2010
Code:
grep -l gzip *

Will list the files that contain the work gzip, searching all the files in the current directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find Script file location inside script

I have to find out the file system location of the script file inside script. for example a script "abc.sh" placed anywhere in the file system when executed shold tell by itself the location of it. example #pwd / #./abc this is / #cd /root #./abc this is /root #cd / #/root/abc this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: asami
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the count of records from tables present inside a file.

hi gurus, I am having a file containing a list of tables.i want to find the count of records inside thes tables. for this i have to connect into database and i have to put the count for all the tables inside another file i used the following loop once all the tablenames are inside the file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a string inside files

Hi, I would like to know how to get a list of files that contain a specific string inside them. Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files only inside the subdirectories only?

Hi I have a directory with two subdirectories and also have a code like below to search files modified in last 2 minutes. # ls hello080909.txt inbox outbox # find . -type f -mmin +2 ./inbox/hello2080909.txt ./outbox/hi0080909.txt ./hello080909.txt The above code just searches and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file with specific string inside it.

Hi , Is there any way i can find a file with specific word inside it. For example if i want to find a file which has some text written inside it. How would i form a command to search them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the pattern inside the file and replace it

hello everybody, I have a group of file eg- sample1 sample2 sample3 sample4 each file contain this :- cat sample1 SEQ_NUM,1,UPESI1 My requirement is to change the value-UPESI1 to UPE10 in file which contain this pattern -UPESI1. any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhigrkist
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i find a word inside a file from a directory and it's subdirectory ?

Suppose i have a word "mail". I have to search this word in all files inside a directory and it's sub-directories. It will also search in all hidden directory and sub-directories. If it finds this word in any file it will list that file. How can i do this with perl/ruby/awk/sed/bash or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find biggest number inside file

Hi, I wanna find the biggest number inside of a file this is kind of example of file: 9 11 55 then i just wanna print out the biggest number i had try sed filenale | sort -k1,1n | paste -s -d',' - but i had no success ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the Missing date inside the FILE?

Hi am using Unix AIX Ksh have a FILE CAT FILE 08/02/2013 16/02/2013 18/02/2013 I need the Outputs as Missing date are 09/02/2013 to 15/02/2013,17/02/2013 can anyone help me !!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find all .sh files in file system and need to replace the string inside .sh files

Hi All, I need to write a script to find all "*.sh" files in /home file system and if any string find "*.sh" files with the name vijay@gmail.com need to replace with vijay.bhaskar@gmail.com. I just understood about the find the command to search .sh files. Please help me on this. find / -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1) and bzip2(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZGREP(1)