Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete a line in a file starting with - Perl one-liner Post 302391234 by Yogesh Sawant on Sunday 31st of January 2010 10:32:57 AM
Old 01-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
Code:
perl -i -nle 'print if !/I live in/' file.txt

and how about:
Code:
perl -i -nle 'print if !/^I live in\b/' file.txt

but Franklin52's solution would work well in most situations

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete the last line in a file using AWK or PERL

Is it possible to delete the last line in a file usin awk or perl? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
4 Replies

2. Programming

How to delete N bytes from the starting of the file from a C function???

Hi, I want to delete the initial few lines (or even bytes) from a file. I want to do this from a C function & this is in Linux platform. The truncate & ftruncate is allowing me to delete bytes from the end only. Any linux C function calls or ideas or any suggestions?? I'm in a dead... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete initial N bytes from the starting of the file using sed?

I want to delete initial N bytes of a file using sed. How can I do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete text from line starting pattern1 up to line before pattern2?

My data is xml'ish (here is an excerpt) :- <bag name="mybag1" version="1.0"/> <contents id="coins"/> <bag name="mybag2" version="1.1"/> <contents id="clothes"/> <contents id="shoes"/> <bag name="mybag3" version="1.6"/> I want to delete line containing mybag2 and its subsequent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: repudi8or
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace regex Perl one liner to AWK one liner

Thanks for giving your time and effort to answer questions and helping newbies like me understand awk. I have a huge file, millions of lines, so perl takes quite a bit of time, I'd like to convert these perl one liners to awk. Basically I'd like all lines with ISA sandwiched between... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete entire line starting with space

Folks, How do i delete an entire line that starts with blank space? Ex: I have a file like below. abc def (10/12) ghi _________ jkl _________ mno pqr stu (11/12) vwx I need the ouput like abc def (10/12) ghi pqr stu (11/12) vwx Thanks for your elp in advance !!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line - Perl one liner

Hi all, I need a Perl one liner which prints a newline into a .txt file, only where the line starts with "/mediawiki-1.19.0/". It should add the newline to the line before. My problem is, when I try to realize this (with my little knowledge :rolleyes: ) i come to the point where the // are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Smith
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking and replacing first line in text file, one-liner?

Hello, I'm looking to check only the first line of a file to see if it is a format string, like # -*- coding: utf-8; mode: tcl; tab-width: 2; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 2 -\*- vim:fenc=utf-8:ft=tcl:et:sw=2:ts=2:sts=2if the first line is anything else, insert the above string. I'd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines except a line starting with string

Shell : bash OS : RHEL 6.8 I have a file like below. $ cat pattern.txt hello txt1 txt2 txt3 some other text txt4 I want to remove all lines in this file except the ones starting with txt . How can I do this ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)