Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Beginner Help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Beginner Help Post 302391150 by thibodeau on Saturday 30th of January 2010 05:02:02 PM
Old 01-30-2010
Yes it is homework...

I did verify the program output and the expected output file... the tests should all pass but the only one that does is the first one... does it have something to do with the tmp file that i make and delete? I know it may seem simple but this is my first time programming in c or shell... i've only done 1 yr in java...

---------- Post updated at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ----------

I just tried switching the first and second tests so now my first test passes and second fail so it has nothing to do with the tmp files... the test that passes has no items to sort if that helps you...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help. I am a beginner.

Alrigt, I need to write a shell script where it counts the number of folders and files and dispays "My home directory has 'x' files and 'y' directories." So, I was thinking of doing this. set x = `ls | wc` so, if I have 8 files and folders in my home directory, x is not 8. now, I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lykathea Aflame
1 Replies

2. Programming

Beginner C

Anyone know where I can get started in C++ programming in unix? Any good free tutorials or websites to start at? I am okay in unix scripting but have never done c programming of any sort... What are the main advantages of using C++ ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Help

hi guys, i have a DEl xps laptop cor 2 duo 2.2 i have vista installed on it i want to install a dual Boot UNIX on it.. can some one guide me ...cause i m tottaly new to UNIX i want to install unix on that laptop along with Vista.... thx any help would be deeply appreciated (sorry if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan082
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for scripting beginner

hy guys, I have perl script provided to me but i need to convert it into shell .Can you help me in this using sed shell command. cat /etc/passwd |perl -ne '/^(\w+):\w+: (\w+)/ and print "$1, $2\n";' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singh_king
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner's question

i write a shell program and i execute that after i made a bin directiry in my home directory(i didnt give any permissions) now i change to other directory.then i execute it bit it is saying " no such a file or directory" can any one help me please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner - What Should I Do First?

Hi people.... I have just started to learn unix.I want to know which version of Unix to install plus how to install it.I need to practise and make myself aware of how unix works.My thread is from an educational point of view.Also please feel free to give your suggestions as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.kanade1983
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner looking for help

Hello, I am trying to write a script that reads names from a file called input, removes names if they have the same letter next to each other and prints the others. e.g. Colin & John would be printed Garry & Lynn would be removed My thinking is that I read in each name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
3 Replies

8. Programming

beginner to c programming

hii friends i m fairy new to c programming.can any one suggest some good websites and some good books for beginner (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajchandel
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Help me please i am beginner

i have windows 8 host on Dell Laptop vmware 9 redhat 7.2 iso downloaded through redhat official site after installation on vm it only boots into text dont show graphics Please guide:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash beginner

Hello so I've stored some csv data to be read into variables like this Name,Team,Shop,Shoe etc,etc,etc,etc Code: sep="," { while IFS=$sep read Name Team Shop Shoe do count=1 dirname=$Name while do ((count++)) dirname="${Name}$count" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darklord173
4 Replies
SHELLTEST(1)							   version 1.2.1						      SHELLTEST(1)

NAME
shelltestrunner - test command-line programs or arbitrary shell commands SYNOPSIS
shelltest [options] {testfiles|testdirs} DESCRIPTION
shelltestrunner tests command-line programs (or arbitrary shell commands). It reads simple declarative tests specifying a command, some input, and the expected output, and can run them run in parallel, selectively, with a timeout, in color, and/or with differences high- lighted. OPTIONS
-a, --all Show all failure output, even if large -c, --color Show colored output if your terminal supports it -d, --diff Show failures in diff format -p, --precise Show failure output precisely (good for whitespace) -x STR, --exclude=STR Exclude test files whose path contains STR --execdir Run tests from within the test file's directory. Test commands normally run within your current directory; --execdir makes them run within the directory where they are defined, instead. --extension=EXT Filename suffix of test files (default: .test) -w, --with=EXECUTABLE Replace the first word of (unindented) test commands. This option replaces the first word of all test commands with something else, which can be useful for testing alternate versions of a program. Commands which have been indented by one or more spaces will not be affected by this option. --debug Show debug info, for troubleshooting --debug-parse Show test file parsing info and stop --help-format Display test format help -?, --help Display help message -V, --version Print version information -- TFOPTIONS Set extra test-framework options like -j/--threads, -t/--select-tests, -o/--timeout, --hide-successes. Use -- --help for a list. Avoid spaces. DEFINING TESTS
Test files, typically named tests/*.test, contain one or more tests consisting of: o a one-line command o optional standard input (<<<), standard output (>>>) and/or standard error output (>>>2) specifications o an exit status (>>>=) specification Test format: # optional comment the command to test <<< zero or more lines of standard input >>> zero or more lines of expected standard output (or /REGEXP/ added to the previous line) >>>2 zero or more lines of expected standard error output (or /REGEXP/ added to the previous line) >>>= EXITCODE (or /REGEXP/) o A /REGEXP/ pattern may be used instead of explicit data. In this case a match anywhere in the output allows the test to pass. The regu- lar expression syntax is regex-tdfa (http://hackage.haskell.org/package/regex-tdfa)'s. o EXITCODE is a numeric exit status (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_status), eg 0 for a successful exit. o You can put ! before a /REGEXP/ or EXITCODE to negate the match. o Comment lines beginning with # may be used between tests. EXAMPLES
Here's example.test, a file containing two simple tests: # 1. let's test that echo runs. Numbering your tests can be helpful. echo >>>= 0 # 2. and now the cat command. On windows, this one should fail. cat <<< foo >>> foo >>>= 0 Run it with shelltest: $ shelltest example.test :t.test:1: [OK] :t.test:2: [OK] Test Cases Total Passed 2 2 Failed 0 0 Total 2 2 AUTHORS
Simon Michael. shelltestrunner March 18 2012 SHELLTEST(1)