Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Virtualization Related Help!! Post 302391135 by Andre_Merzky on Saturday 30th of January 2010 02:27:12 PM
Old 01-30-2010
Question

I'm not an expert on virtualization, but I think there is no reliable way to obtain information on your physical host. A non-reliable way would be though:

Many VM network setups route traffic via the host system. So, if you perform a traceroute to some external address (Wikipedia), the first hop *may* be your host.

hth

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Virtualization with Solaris 10

Hello all, For my internship assignment I have a Sunfire 880 at my disposal for comparing virtualization with the normal mostly Windows based servers in the company. Are there any applications like VirtualBox or Vmware that can be used on a Sparc-system equipped with Solaris 10? I tried... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regi86
1 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Virtualization problem

Hi, I am having a virtualization problem with a machine that runs on Fedora Core 4. I created a IDE virtual machine running FEDORA CORE 4. Then I restored the original servers partition one by one. Everything works until I restore root. Then When I load up I get mount: error 6 mounting ext3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Hardware virtualization

Hello to all In my organization we want to pass to move the systems to an virtualized environment, nevertheless, considering the absence of resources, the idea is to acquire the versers and that the department (I) do the facilities, tests, etc. Wearing out the possible minimal cost in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aalvarez77
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Virtualization Software

Hello peopel I am interesting in implement a virtualization system on HP-UX v3. I have some Integrity servers with this OS installed but I want to virtualize one of them because I have a problem that has no solution in HP-UX and I have to install RedHat for this reason. Then I don't know what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lekram
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Redhat Virtualization 2.2

Hi Friends, Is there any one who is working on Redhat Virtualization (RHEV -- KVM)? Regards, Arumon (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
4 Replies

6. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Virtualization problems

Hi everyone. Last week we have some hardware problems in our Unixware 7 server, and i decided to change this physical machine into a virtual machine. The scenario is: architecture=IA32 bus_types=PCI2.10,ISA,PnP1.0 hostname=tecsup2uw.tecsupaqp.edu hw_provider=Generic AT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danilosevilla
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need downloading related help...but its not related to unix

Hi All, I am trying to dowmload the zip file "zkManageCustomers.zip " but i dont have access. Can anyone help me to download this file See the below link- http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/wa-aj-open/index.html?ca=drs- Please help me as early as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aish11
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Virtualization options for HP-UX 11.31

Hello, I am looking for a virtualization option for HP-UX that will allow VMs to run completely independent of each other with full Operating System capabilities (not a guest OS with limited features/access), with their own IP addresses and dedicated resources that will not interfere with any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
4 Replies

9. Solaris

solaris virtualization

Hi everyone, I have ten servers with solaris (diffrent versions). there is solaris 10, solaris 6 and solaris 8. some are SPARC and some are x86 I would like to move them to one server so they all will be virtual. Is it possible? how? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bregtux
4 Replies

10. Linux

Virtualization best practices

Hello admins and gurus I have a controversial topic: now we are investing in a new Linux OS that will hold our Sybase database. The server will virtualized on a VMware server hosted on SAN storage. Now the question is, when we install the database engine is it better - in terms of performance -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
1 Replies
route(8c)																 route(8c)

Name
       route - manually manipulate the routing tables

Syntax
       /etc/route [ -f ] [ -n ] command args ]

Description
       The  program  is  used  to manipulate the network routing tables manually.  However, normally it is not needed, as the system routing table
       management daemon, should tend to this task.

The program accepts two commands: add, to add a route and delete, to delete a route.

All commands have the following syntax:

/etc/route command [ net | host ] destination gateway [ metric ]

In this syntax, destination is a host or network for which the route is to, gateway is the gateway to which packets  should  be	addressed,
       and  metric  is	an  optional count indicating the number of hops to the destination.  The metric is required for add commands.	It must be
       zero if the destination is on a directly-attached network, and nonzero if the route utilizes one or more gateways.

When adding a route with metric 0, the gateway given is the address of this host on the common network, indicating the interface to be used
       for  transmission.   Routes to a particular host are distinguished from routes to a network by interpreting the Internet address associated
       with destination.  The optional keywords net and host force the destination to be interpreted as a network or host, respectively.   If  the
       destination  has  a local address part of INADDR_ANY, then the route is assumed to be to a network. Otherwise, it is presumed to be a route
       to a host.  If the route is to a destination connected via a gateway, the metric should be greater than 0.  All	symbolic  names  specified
       for a destination or gateway are looked up first as a host name using If this lookup fails, is then used to interpret the name as that of a
       network.

The command uses a raw socket and the SIOCADDRT and SIOCDELRT ioctls to do its work.  As such, only the superuser can  modify  the  routing
       tables.

Options
       -f   Flushes  the routing tables of all gateway entries.  If is used with one of the commands described above, the tables are flushed prior
	    to the command's application.

-n   Prevents attempts to print host and network names symbolically when reporting actions.

Restrictions
       The change operation is not implemented.  Therefore, you should first add the new route, and then delete the old one.

Diagnostics
       add [host | network] %s: gateway %s flags %x"
       The specified route is being added to the tables.  The values printed are from the routing table entry supplied in the ioctl call.  If  the
       gateway	address  used  was not the primary address of the gateway (the first one returned by the gateway address is printed numerically as
       well as symbolically.

delete [ host | network] %s: gateway %s flags %x
       The specified route is being deleted from the tables.  The values printed are from the routing table entry supplied in the ioctl call.	If
       the  gateway  address used was not the primary address of the gateway (the first one returned by the gateway address is printed numerically
       as well as symbolically.

%s %s done
       When the flag is specified, each routing table entry that is deleted is indicated with a message of this form.

Network is unreachable
       An attempt to add a route failed because the gateway listed was not on a directly-connected network.  The next-hop gateway must be given.

not in table
       A delete operation was attempted for an entry which was not present in the tables.

routing table overflow
       An add operation was attempted, but the system was low on resources and was unable to allocate memory to create the new entry.

See Also
       intro(4n), routed(8c)

route(8c)