Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Waiting for an arbitrary background process (limiting number of jobs running) Post 302390812 by p.f.moore on Friday 29th of January 2010 04:23:56 AM
Old 01-29-2010
Thanks, that's an approach I hadn't thought of. One thing it doesn't allow me to do is to report progress - something I'd thought of adding to my original approach was to add a "printf '.'" whenever I started a new decompress. But that's just a nice-to-have - your suggestion gets the job done.

I'd still be interested in any other possibilities that anyone can suggest - this is my first venture into anything more complicated than very basic scripts, and I'm learning a lot I didn't know!

Thanks,
Paul.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running process in background

I'm trying to install a solaris 9 patch cluster and when I try to use & to run in background it won't allow me to enter in my sudo password so it fails the install and sudo auth. Does Solaris not have screen like linux? If & will work what am I doing wrong? sudo ./install_cluster -q & is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with exit after running jobs in background

I have the following sample script to run a script the jobs with the same priority(in this case field3) in parallel; wait for the jobs to finish and run the next set of jobs in parallel.When all the lines are read exit the script. I have the following script which is doing evrything I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hyennah
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs exit status and limit the number of jobs to run

i need to execute 5 jobs at a time in background and need to get the exit status of all the jobs i wrote small script below , i'm not sure this is right way to do it.any ideas please help. $cat run_job.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh #################################### typeset -u SCHEMA_NAME=$1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the jobs running in background and stop

Hi All, I have requirement. I am running a job every 30mins. before starting the process, i need to check the process, if the process is still running then i need not trigger the process again, if it is not running then trigger the process again. I am using cron to trigger the shell script. Can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas_paluku
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for a background process to finish

Hello, I am a novice shell script programmer. And facing this problem any help is appreciated. I m writing a shell script and running few commands in it background as I have to run them simultaneously. Sample code : sql_prog & sql_prog & sql_prog & echo "Process Completed" Here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetbhati
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for the background process to finish

Hi, I have on shell script which internally calls more than one scripts which run in background. These scripts cannot be modified to run in foreground. eg. myscript.sh -> bulk_launcher.sh -> acq_launcher.sh -> bulk_loader.sh I want the calling shell script myscript.sh to wait till the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AB10
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting on jobs in bash, allowing limited parallel jobs at one time, and then for all to finish

Hello, I am running GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). I have a specific question pertaining to waiting on jobs run in sub-shells, based on the max number of parallel processes I want to allow, and then wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srao
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to see process running at background

Hi , I want to see all the background process that are running in unix box machine...please guide me is there any specific command for that..since I am executing some scripts at background..!!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nks342
1 Replies

9. AIX

Use of screen in running background jobs and how to use this

Hello, Please advise use of screen in running jobs in nohup background and how to use this Best regards, Vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running process in the background

Hi, I have this simple c program that creates duplicate process with fork(): #include <sys/types.h> main() { if (fork() == 0) while(1); else while(1); } I tried running it in the background gcc -o test first.c test & And I got this list of running process: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
4 Replies
proto(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  proto(4)

NAME
proto - prototype job file for at SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
When a job is submitted to or the job is constructed as a POSIX shell script (see at(1)). The job file is created in as follows: o creates a header describing the job as an job or a job. jobs submitted to all queues other than queue are listed as jobs. The header is: for an job, or for a job. o A set of POSIX shell commands is added to make the environment (see environ(5)) for the job the same as the current environment. o then copies text from the prototype file to the job file, except for special variables that are replaced by other text: Replaced by the current working directory. Replaced by the current file size limit (see ulimit(2)). Replaced by the current umask (see umask(2)). Replaced by the time at which the job should be run, expressed as seconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00 Coordinated Universal Time, preceded by a colon. Replaced by text read by from the standard input (that is, the commands provided to to be run in the job). o When a job is submitted to queue queue, uses the file as the prototype file if it exists. Otherwise, it uses the file EXAMPLES
The following file creates commands to change the current directory, file size limit, and umask in the job to their respective values as they existed when was originally run. These commands are inserted before the commands in the job: SEE ALSO
at(1), queuedefs(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
proto(4)