Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat NTP Configuration on RHEL 5.4 Post 302390417 by max_min on Thursday 28th of January 2010 12:55:44 AM
Old 01-28-2010
well... I ended up setting a NTP server on another Linux box and it works fine...
So Linux host sync'ing with a Linux NTP server works....
Don't know if Linux host not sync'ing with AIX NTP server is a bug or unsupported configuration... anyways, my needs are fulfilled Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ntp configuration

Hi all, I'm sure this question was asked before but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the 2 threads I found on here. Here's my question/problem: I have an isolated (no connection to outside world at all) Unix network. I want to have time sync between my other non-PC based system... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariobernier
0 Replies

2. Solaris

ntp server configuration

hi Please give me the configuration steps for NTP server. How do i sync other servers with this NTP server thanks to all (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NTP configuration issue..

hello Guys, I have an NTP problem on my SUN N240 server. External NTP server is being used for this box and when i run 'ntpq -p' i get connection refused message; ntpq -p ntpq: read: Connection refused Here this is the ntp.conf file: cat /etc/ntp.conf # BEGIN NTP SERVERS server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dyavuzy1
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

RHEL 6.0 net configuration

hello, I have installed RHEL 6.0 on my lappy in a separate partion with windows 7 on the hardware(not using VMWARE).Now kindly help me to active network configuration in that?????Is it require to have LINUX wireless drivers???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dillipkmrpadhy
1 Replies

5. Solaris

ntp client configuration error

hi all ntp client side configuration file is done but in # ntpq -p remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset disp ============================================================================== ntpserver .INIT. 16 u - 64 0 0.00 0.000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

RIP configuration in RHEL 6.3

Hi, Can someone please help me configuring RIP (Routing Information Protocol v2 ). I have tried few manuals and posts from networking sites and i didnt get a clear picture. This is what i have done: 1. Installed routed package and started routed service. however, Dynamic routes are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddybs
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

NTP Configuration file

Hi, Could you please explain about "restrict" parameters in /etc/ntp.conf in ntp client and ntp Servers. Example: restrict 127.0.0.1 restrict -6 ::1 restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap Regards, Mastan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Need Good Configuration For RHEL Virtualization Desktop

Hi All , I want a Good Specification For Building a Coustum PC must Have With Intel Motherboard and Intel Processor , And Must Have Virtualization , Cos im Gonna Install Redhat Enterprise Virtualization Based PC and Gonna install win Xp , Win 7 as a Guest Os in it .. Any one Have Good Spec for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to configure DNS configuration for RHEL 5?

I wanted to know how to configure DNS configuration for RHEL 5. I hope, my query is clear of how to setup DNS for RHEL 5. Please revert with the reply to my query Regards (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Snmptrapd configuration on rhel 8

I need to configure snmptrap on rhel 8 server and send trap to nimsoft for file system , memory and cpu load and network diconnection status. please help me, if any one configured. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yash_message
1 Replies
ntp.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						       ntp.conf(5)

Name
       ntp.conf - Network Time Protocol configuration file

Description
       The  file  is the configuration file for the Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon, This file must be configured on your system before running
       Any host names that you specify in the file must have an entry in the file, or an entry in the master database, if the  database  is  being
       served to your system by BIND/Hesiod or Yellow Pages.

The file has four entry formats:

trusting no
	    This entry guarantees that your system synchronizes only to the NTP servers identified in the peer and server entries specified.  Dig-
	    ital recommends that all systems include the entry.

peer server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	 Your  system  may  also  provide time synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP servers should be configured with entries.

server server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	Your  system  can  not	provide  time  synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP clients should be configured with entries.

peer   /dev/null       LOCL    1       -5      local
	    This entry identifies your system as a local reference clock.  A local reference clock is the most accurate system clock available	at
	    your  site.   If you receive time synchronization from the Internet NTP service, you should not include this entry on any of your sys-
	    tems.  At most, one system in a set of nodes running should be identified as a local reference clock.

A host which specifies this entry should not specify any or entries.

Examples
       This is a sample configuration file for an NTP client which receives time synchronization from the NTP servers: and Lines beginning with  a
       number sign (#) are comments.
       #
       #	       NTP  Configuration File
       #	This file is mandatory for the ntpd daemon
       #
       #
       #
       #   **  A L L  **
       #
       #  "trusting no" prevents this host from synchronizing
       #   to any host that is not listed below.  It is recommended
       #   that all hosts include the line "trusting no".
       #
       trusting no
       #
       #
       #    **	S E R V E R  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a server, use "peer" entries to
       #  synchronize to other NTP servers.  For example, server1,
       #  server2, and server3.
       #
       #peer	      server1
       #peer	      server2
       #peer	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	C L I E N T  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a client, use "server" entries to
       #  synchronize to NTP servers.  For example, server1, server2,
       #  and server3.
       #
       server	      server1
       server	      server2
       server	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	L O C A L   R E F E R E N C E	C L O C K  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a local reference clock, include the
       #  following entry and the "trusting no" entry ONLY.
       #
       #peer	 /dev/null LOCL 1    -5   local
       #

See Also
       ntp(1), ntpd(8), ntpdc(8)
       RFC 1129--Internet time synchronization:  The Network Time Protocol
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

ntp.conf(5)