Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Insert Commas at fixed positions Post 302390215 by arossco on Wednesday 27th of January 2010 08:07:56 AM
Old 01-27-2010
Thanks for the quick reply jostber and suggesting sed - however I think I did not make my problem clear enough - the lines of the textfile can contain any text, i.e.

Code:
H1234      Widget type A             12345
ZZ8888     Flanging Sprocket          999

and I need

Code:
H1234      ,Widget type A             ,12345
ZZ8888     ,Flanging Sprocket         ,999

I'll take a look at the docs for sed Smilie

Ross

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I insert commas/delimiters in File

Hi, Newbie here. Need to convert a txt file to .csv format. There's no character to replace so not sure if I can use sed :confused: . The comma is to be inserted after every certain number of characters in each line... Help! Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbelen
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a record in fixed width flatfile

I have a fixed width flatfile with 5 columns, i will load file from oracle database to the flatfile for every 15 min at the end of the file, i want to insert a record by calling a shell script for inserting a record. please can any one help me. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limou
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert Delimiter at fixed locations in a flat file

Hi Can somebody help me with solution for this PLEASE? I have a flat file and need to insert delimiters at fixed positions in all the lines so that I can easily convert into EXCEL with columns defined as per their width. For Example Here is the file { kkjhdhal sdfewss sdtereetyw... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jd_mca
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script replace positions if certain positions equal prescribed value

I am attempting to replace positions 44-46 with YYY if positions 48-50 = XXX. awk -F "" '{if (substr($0,48,3)=="XXX") $44="YYY"}1' OFS="" $filename > $tempfile But this is not working, 44-46 is still spaces in my tempfile instead of YYY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: halplessProblem
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text with Sed (in various positions)

Hello. I'm trying to insert text in various positions and I could only do that using pipes for each position. Example: cat file | sed -e 's#\(.\{5\}\)\(.*\)#\1:\2#g' | sed -e 's#\(.\{26\}\)\(.*\)#\1:\2#g' Insert ":" at position 5 and 26. it can be done in the same sentence, without using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: </kida>
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Inverted Commas Around Numeric Values

Hi, I am trying to insert Inverted Commas around all the numeric values within a comma seperated string / variable. 1111,2222,3333,4444 I would like it to be: '1111','2222','3333','4444' Note - This string could have a differing amount of numeric values each time the variable is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichZR
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert single quote and commas

Hi All, I have a set of data as below : XS012371378 Raj 23-09-12 SH128238948 Andrew 24-08-12 CH273712399 Walsh 12-10-12 JK7249923893 Nick 10-02-13 JP6383791389 Braslin 30-12-13 I want the first column to be extracted separately. I can get this using awk. awk '{print $1}' file_name ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nand Kishor
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters at fixed positions

My objective is to replace the 8th, 9th, 10th characters by 1 space per character (total 3 spaces) in a file. I achieved this using following command: sed 's/\(.\)/\1@/7;s/@\(...\)/ /' FileData.txt > FileData_UPDATED.txt Another situation comes when I need to done same but excluding 1st... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert commas

Original content: ACACCTCAT 129 | ACACCTCAT 0 ACACCTCATX 171 | ACACCTCATX 0 ACACRESRT 0 ACACRESRT 0 ACACRESRTX 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: loktamann
4 Replies
XmScrollVisible(library call)											     XmScrollVisible(library call)

NAME
XmScrollVisible -- A ScrolledWindow function that makes an invisible descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/ScrolledW.h> void XmScrollVisible( Widget scrollw_widget, Widget widget, Dimension left_right_margin, Dimension top_bottom_margin); DESCRIPTION
XmScrollVisible makes an obscured or partially obscured widget or gadget descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible. The function re- positions the work area and sets the specified margins between the widget and the nearest viewport boundary. The widget's location relative to the viewport determines whether one or both of the margins must be adjusted. This function requires that the XmNscrollingPolicy of the ScrolledWindow widget be set to XmAUTOMATIC. scrollw_widget Specifies the ID of the ScrolledWindow widget whose work area window contains an obscured descendant. widget Specifies the ID of the widget to be made visible. left_right_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the left or right edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved horizontally to make it visible. top_bottom_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the top or bottom edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved vertically to make it visible. For a complete definition of ScrolledWindow and its associated resources, see XmScrolledWindow(3) RELATED
XmScrolledWindow(3). XmScrollVisible(library call)