Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and Replace with Confirmation Post 302390136 by Abhinav Tyagi on Wednesday 27th of January 2010 03:27:38 AM
Old 01-27-2010
I understand your point
but if I use my sed command in
Code:
if [ grep /abc/ filename];then
   if [ "$ANSWER" == "Y" ];then
     #Run the Sed Command
   else
      #Exit the loop
   fi
fi

then this would be asking confirmation for replacing text at some position or whole in a file...

I want to know how can I use SED command to replace each occurence only with confirmation from the user.

eg.

let this be some text in file

Code:
apple boy cat dog
boy dog apple apple cat

script should display

do you want to replace "apple" with "APPLE()" in line
apple boy cat dog (y/n)

say n

again
do you want to replace "apple" with "APPLE()" in line (for first occurrence)
boy dog apple apple cat (y/n)

say y

again
do you want to replace "apple" with "APPLE()" in line (for second occurrence)
boy dog APPLE() apple cat (y/n)

say n

and so on

Can this be achieved using SED or any other command ???

Last edited by pludi; 01-27-2010 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail delivery confirmation

If I am sending mail with this command: mail .......@whatever.com < filename, is it possible to get delivery confirmation? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSGUY
3 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

need email confirmation resent

we had a power outage shortly after i registered... so my mail server was down for a while... could i get the email confirmation for hackware --> resent please...? thanx... ...william.o.yates...email removed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hackware
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

4. Web Development

Pop up Confirmation Box

Hi, I was writing a simple web application using Perl -CGI. When users try to do some operations, I wanted like a pop-up confirmation box. Is this possible with Perl-CGI? Thanks in advance. Regards, garric (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

twice confirmation in the script

from one script invoke another script will need to do double confirmation like: 'y' and 'y' exp: echo 'y' | /a/b/c.sh only input 1 'y' in the c.sh, but the c.sh required 2 'y' (twice confirmation) is there anyway get resolve this issue? please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinx
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confirmation while deleting a file

Hi All, While am deleting a file in unix by using the command rm it's deleting the file directly IT's have to ask the user while deleting like do you want to delete filename y or N ? Kindly help on this. Thanks Thelak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with search and replace or search only of / in vi

Hi all, I am editing a config file in vi that has a / on it. At the moment, search and replace looks alright as am able to use a # as a temporary separator, i.e. :,$s#/u01/app#/u02/app#g For doing a search, I have to escape the / do. So if I want to search for /u01/app, I am having to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested search in a file and replace the inner search

Hi Team, I am new to unix, please help me in this. I have a file named properties. The content of the file is : ##Mobile props east.url=https://qa.east.corp.com/prop/end west.url=https://qa.west.corp.com/prop/end south.url=https://qa.south.corp.com/prop/end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolearn
2 Replies
GIT-REPLACE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-REPLACE(1)

NAME
git-replace - Create, list, delete refs to replace objects SYNOPSIS
git replace [-f] <object> <replacement> git replace -d <object>... git replace -l [<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Adds a replace reference in .git/refs/replace/ The name of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the object that is replaced. The content of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the replacement object. Unless -f is given, the replace reference must not yet exist in .git/refs/replace/ directory. Replacement references will be used by default by all git commands except those doing reachability traversal (prune, pack transfer and fsck). It is possible to disable use of replacement references for any command using the --no-replace-objects option just after git. For example if commit foo has been replaced by commit bar: $ git --no-replace-objects cat-file commit foo shows information about commit foo, while: $ git cat-file commit foo shows information about commit bar. The GIT_NO_REPLACE_OBJECTS environment variable can be set to achieve the same effect as the --no-replace-objects option. OPTIONS
-f If an existing replace ref for the same object exists, it will be overwritten (instead of failing). -d Delete existing replace refs for the given objects. -l <pattern> List replace refs for objects that match the given pattern (or all if no pattern is given). Typing "git replace" without arguments, also lists all replace refs. BUGS
Comparing blobs or trees that have been replaced with those that replace them will not work properly. And using git reset --hard to go back to a replaced commit will move the branch to the replacement commit instead of the replaced commit. There may be other problems when using git rev-list related to pending objects. And of course things may break if an object of one type is replaced by an object of another type (for example a blob replaced by a commit). SEE ALSO
git-tag(1) git-branch(1) git(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-REPLACE(1)