Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy only files recursively
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy only files recursively Post 302390117 by umapearl on Wednesday 27th of January 2010 02:13:13 AM
Old 01-27-2010
Hi,

I actually need to copy the files itself to another directory searching with the directories and sub-directories along with the listing. Please guide

Thanks

Uma

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively copy only specific files from a directory tree

Hi I am a shell-script newbie and am looking to synchronize certain files in two directory structures. Both these directory-trees are in CVS and so I dont want the CVS directory to be copied over. I want only .sh and .pl files in each subdirectory under these directory trees to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharpsharkrocks
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in moving files recursively

Hi, I have d1,d2,d3 directories / /home/abc/d1 /home/abc/d2 /home/abc/d3 d1,d2 and d3 also have subdirctories. d1-->d11-->d12 d2-->d22-->d23 d3-->d33-->d34 All these directories have files like date_filename.txt so I want to find the files recusively for a particular date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move directories along with files/specific files

I would like to transfer all files ending with .log from /tmp and to /tmp/archive (using find ) The directory structure looks like :- /tmp a.log b.log c.log /abcd d.log e.log When I tried the following command , it movies all the log files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

Copy certain file types recursively while maintaining file structure on destination?

Hi guys, I have just been bothered by a fairly small issue for some time now. I am trying to search (using find -name) for some .jpg files recursively. This is a Redhat environment with bash. I get this job done though I need to copy ALL of them and put them in a separate folder BUT I also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp script to copy folders recursively

hi all I want a script that will use ftp to copy folder and sub folders from source server to current server. if i use -r switch then it just copies folders for 5 level. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy particular file from directories recursively

I have directory path in which there are several sub directories. In all these sub dir there will be one env.cnf file. I want to copy this env.cnf file from each sub dir's and place them in destination path by creating same filename as sub dir_env.cnf. After copying env.cnf files from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files recursively

Hello! I know what i s recursion, but can't imagine what shoudl be "recursicve copying" of files? Please, what should mean: cp -r /home/hope/files/* /home/hope/backup Can someone helpme with a simple example? Many thanks!!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinklemon
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively copy directory only for recent files?

I love the -newerct flag for the Cygwin find command on windows. Can I use "/usr/bin/find . -newerct '3 hours ago'" to conditionally copy a directory tree so that only the files in the directory tree that are younger than 3 hours are copied to my destination directory such that the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Specific Files Recursively

Is it possible to only copy selected files+its directories when you are copying recursively? find /OriginalFolder/* -type -d \{ -mtime 1 -o -mtime 2 \ } -exec cp -R {} /CopyTo/'hostname'__CopyTo/ \; -print From the above line, I want to only copy *txt and *ini files from /OriginalFolder/* ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apacheLinux
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files recursively to one single directory

I need to copy a complete directory structure into a new location. But I want to have all files copied into one directory and leave out the directory structure. So all files must be placed in one directory. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReneVL
4 Replies
hardlink(1)						      General Commands Manual						       hardlink(1)

NAME
hardlink - Consolidate duplicate files via hardlinks SYNOPSIS
hardlink [-c] [-n] [-v] [-vv] [-h] directory1 [ directory2 ... ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents hardlink, a program which consolidates duplicate files in one or more directories using hardlinks. hardlink traverses one or more directories searching for duplicate files. When it finds duplicate files, it uses one of them as the mas- ter. It then removes all other duplicates and places a hardlink for each one pointing to the master file. This allows for conservation of disk space where multiple directories on a single filesystem contain many duplicate files. Since hard links can only span a single filesystem, hardlink is only useful when all directories specified are on the same filesystem. OPTIONS
-c Compare only the contents of the files being considered for consolidation. Disregards permission, ownership and other differ- ences. -f Force hardlinking across file systems. -n Do not perform the consolidation; only print what would be changed. -v Print summary after hardlinking. -vv Print every hardlinked file and bytes saved. Also print summary after hardlinking. -h Show help. AUTHOR
hardlink was written by Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. Man page written by Brian Long. Man page updated by Jindrich Novy <jnovy@redhat.com> BUGS
hardlink assumes that its target directory trees do not change from under it. If a directory tree does change, this may result in hardlink accessing files and/or directories outside of the intended directory tree. Thus, you must avoid running hardlink on potentially changing directory trees, and especially on directory trees under control of another user. hardlink(1)