Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there a way to make bash [or another shell] use all CPU cores to execute a single script? Post 302389962 by ph0enix on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 01:23:30 PM
Old 01-26-2010
The answer to the "why shell" question is simple: I don't know the first thing about C. Another reason is portability. It's easier to test different systems if the program doesn't have to be compiled for a specific architecture. But since there is no way to make this work in bash, I guess C is the way to go. I know this is not the right forum but I would really appreciate if any of you could convert my script to C.

Thank you! Smilie

J.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to execute sh script in bash shell via crontab

hello. we are porting over from HPUX Shell to Linux. my default shell is bash so i can no longer schedule to execute a sh script in crontab. can anyone pls help me out? I searched the site but didnt find any details. thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with make sure shell script execute instruction in flow

Hi, I want to write a shell script to make sure all the instruction is executive in flow. eg. I want my shell script to run finish this two progress first: ./program input_file_1.txt > input_file_1.txt.out & ./program input_file_2.txt > input_file_2.txt.out & After then, only run the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edge_diners
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Lost CPU CORES

Hey all, dmidecode | grep -i CPU Socket Designation: CPU 0 Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5530 @ 2.40GHz Socket Designation: CPU 1 Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5530 @ 2.40GHz cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i cpu cpu family : 6... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmokros
24 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to run two unix/linux programs on two different cpu cores

Hi folks, I want to know how to run two unix programs on two different cpu cores on a 2-core or 4-core or 8-core CPU machine? Extending this how would i run four and eight unix programs on 4-core and 8-core machine respectively? If this can be done, how to know which program is assigned to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a bash or shell script run as daemon?

Say i have a simple example: root@server # cat /root/scripts/test.sh while sleep 5 do echo "how are u mate" >> /root/scripts/test.log done root@server # Instead of using rc.local to start or another script to check status, I would like make it as daemon, where i can do the following: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
2 Replies

6. Solaris

CPU/processor/cores in M4000

Hi Gurus Can someone help me in explaining the below outputs . psrinfo -p 4 /usr/sbin/psrinfo -pv The physical processor has 4 virtual processors (0-3) SPARC64-VI (portid 1024 impl 0x6 ver 0x93 clock 2150 MHz) The physical processor has 4 virtual processors (8-11) SPARC64-VI... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Numbers-of-cpu-cores-in-Solaris-10

Hello All, How do I find the number of CPU's, virtual processors in solaris 10? Thank you Sunil Kumar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msgforsunil
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

CPU and Cores information

Hi all. I have a question about linux command to find number of CPU and Core. I usually use the command dmidecode -t processor to find cpu and core numbers . On this machine with Red Hat 4. 0 when I try to insert the command is returned the error -bash: dmidecode: command not found I try to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: piccolinomax
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Questions regarding CPU cores vs rctl limit

Hi, I am trying to gather cpu core details and used this script - Solaris & Scripting: Script - Find cpu - model / type / count / core / thread / speed - Solaris Sparc For auuditing purpose, we want to know how many cores are being used by Oracle, because oracle license will be charged on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
PURITY(6)							   Games Manual 							 PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)