Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX 6.1 Power6 - Sys CPU utilization twice that of User Post 302389909 by zaxxon on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 11:07:43 AM
Old 01-26-2010
That sy is higher than us just means the kernel has much more to do. That should be because the software is written like this, I would guess. To check in detail what is going on CPU-wise, have look at tprof maybe:

AIX 5.2 performance tools update, Part 3

I have no experience with tprof myself but maybe you get something of worth out of it analysing it.

You could also try again with enabling/disabling SMT (smtctl [on|off]) check for different behaviour, depending if the application has lot's of processes or is written mulithreaded (check with svmon -P| grep -p Pid). If SMT is working fine ie. dispatching works smooth, can be checked with "mpstat -s 1" (see System p education).

Checking how the work is distributed on the different (logical/virtual) CPUs can be done with sar -P ALL 1 9999 for example.

This one might be interessting for you too:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wi...len+CPU+cycles

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Utilization

Dear friends, I am doing a report daily for all most 30 more serves... i need to check out CPU utlization bu (top command, 100 - (ideal value)) and Memory utilization too could some one help me how can i get it directly, if scripts also no problem.. i will very thankful if some one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for cpu utilization for each user

Can someone suggest me the script to calculate cpu utilization for each user in solaris say for a period of 24 Hrs or last 12 Hrs I am using solaris 10. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajusa10
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! CPU consumption - %usr and %sys ??

On Linux, top shows how much % of CPU is consumed by "user" as well as "sys" like below. Tasks: 272 total, 3 running, 268 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie Cpu(s): 65.9%us, 33.8%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.2%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st Mem: 16300960k total, 16212488k used, 88472k free, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl using modules CPU SYS and ENV

I have a project on which I have to use cpuinfo to get model name, number of cpus and bogomips.. for sys I need the uptime, total ram and from env I need the HOSTNAME.. from CMD ouputs i need the eth0-ip and .df.. The problem is that those modules have to be call from a subroutine and I have to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiedi16
0 Replies

6. AIX

How to calculate AIX CPU utilization using lparstat command

Could you please explain about calculate CPU utilization of aix server using lparstat command? Here below i have provided example output from aix test server. System configuration: type=Shared mode=Uncapped smt=On lcpu=4 mem=4096 psize=63 ent=0.50 %user %sys %wait %idle physc %entc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maruthu
1 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Limit CPU and RAM utilization for new user in RedHat

We have a system with 4 Xeon Processors each with 10 cores, total 512 GB RAM and 10 TB Hard Drive. we want to create multiple user accounts with different resource limitations as : User 1: RAM : 50GB, PROCESSOR: 10 Cores , User folder in home directory of 10GB space. User 2: RAM :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavvsk
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cpu utilization by a process has to be mailed if more than 5% on AIX

i am using the below command in order to find the cpu utilization by a user..now i want to mail if the cpu utilization goes beyond 5%....can someone please help me ? ps auxw | sort -r +2 | awk '{ print $3,$1 }' | head -6 | egrep "USER|#anonymous#" %CPU USER 2.0 anonymous Regards,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arorap
6 Replies

9. AIX

What happened if CPU utilization is near to 100 % in AIX 6.1?

Hi all, We have a setup where our application is running on 2 AIX servers ( AIX 6.1 , 16 CPU, P5 570 boxes). These boxes works as disaster recovery server for each other i.e. in case of 1 box failure, whole load will run out of other box. Average CPU utilization on each box is between 30-40 %... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKJ
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

CPU Utilization and Memory Utilization of Services and Applications

Hi, i am new to linux/RHEL 6.0 and i have two questions. 1) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Services running currently? 2) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Applications running currently? Please help me to find the script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nossam
2 Replies
Ns_Url(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 					Ns_Url(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_AbsoluteUrl, Ns_ParseUrl, Ns_RelativeUrl, Ns_SkipUrl - URL manipulation routines SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" int Ns_AbsoluteUrl(Ns_DString *pds, char *url, char *baseurl) int Ns_ParseUrl(char *url, char **pprotocol, char **phost, char **pport, char **ppath, char **ptail) char * Ns_RelativeUrl(char *url, char *location) char * Ns_SkipUrl(Ns_Request *request, int n) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Ns_AbsoluteUrl(pds, url, baseurl) Construct an URL based on baseurl but with as many parts of the incomplete url as possible. Return NS_OK or NS_ERROR. Ns_ParseUrl(url, pprotocol, phost, pport, ppath, ptail) Parse a URL into its component parts. Pointers to the protocol, host, port, path, and "tail" (last path element) will be set by ref- erence in the passed-in pointers. The passed-in url will be modified. Ns_RelativeUrl(url, location) If the url passed in is for this server, then the initial part of the URL is stripped off. e.g., on a server whose location is http://www.foo.com, Ns_RelativeUrl of "http://www.foo.com/hello" will return "/hello". Returns a pointer to the beginning of the relative url in the passed-in url, or NULL if error. Will set errno on error. Ns_SkipUrl(request, n) Return a pointer n elements into the request's url. SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Url(3aolserver)