Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: convert file to ascii
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting convert file to ascii Post 302389861 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 08:15:22 AM
Old 01-26-2010
You can use a tool like iconv. However what encoding is the file currently in?
An example answer might be :UTF-16, [language name like Tualree]

Without knowing that we cannot do much for you. File -i [filename] or try the enca tool.
Both can help identify encoding if you do not know.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert ASCII to BINARY

Here is what I did . . . . I FTP'd several *.pdf files from a web site to a UNIX server, and did not set the transfer mode to BIN, now Adobe thinks that the documents are corrupted. Is there a way to convert the *.pdf files to Binary so that Adobe can open them again. I would just re-download... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like ..ݡ.ݡ ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert English text file to ASCII File?

file abc abc: English text I want to convert the above into file abc file: ascii text (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laknar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file?

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file?

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to convert EBCDIC file to ASCII file

Hello all, To give you all a little bit of background. We recently migrated from HP-UX to Redhat Linux and one of the command I used to run on HP-UX to convert an EBCDIC file to ASCII file isn't working on Linux. The code is as follow: cat workout2.dat | dd cbs=250 conv=block conv=ascii... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert EBCDIC(.DAT) FILE into ASCII FILE

Hi Team, I am having 100 EBCDIC files (i.e. DAT extension) and need to convert them into ASCII File by unix shell script. I tried with DD Command but its not providing output as expected. Sample Text: ------------------ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Expected Output:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSM
2 Replies
MANCONV(1)                                                      Manual pager utils                                                      MANCONV(1)

NAME
manconv - convert manual page from one encoding to another SYNOPSIS
manconv -f from-code[:from-code...] -t to-code [-dqhV] [filename] DESCRIPTION
manconv converts a manual page from one encoding to another, like iconv. Unlike iconv, it can try multiple possible input encodings in sequence. This is useful for manual pages installed in directories without an explicit encoding declaration, since they may be in UTF-8 or in a legacy character set. If an encoding declaration is found on the first line of the manual page, that declaration overrides any input encodings specified on man- conv's command line. Encoding declarations have the following form: '" -*- coding: UTF-8 -*- or (if manual page preprocessors are also to be declared): '" t -*- coding: ISO-8859-1 -*- OPTIONS
-f encodings, --from-code encodings Try each of encodings (a colon-separated list) in sequence as the input encoding. -t encoding, --to-code encoding Convert the manual page to encoding. -q, --quiet Do not issue error messages when the page cannot be converted. -d, --debug Print debugging information. -h, --help Print a help message and exit. -V, --version Display version information. SEE ALSO
iconv(1), man(1) AUTHOR
Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org). 2.8.3 2018-04-05 MANCONV(1)