Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and Replace with Confirmation Post 302389814 by Abhinav Tyagi on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 02:59:04 AM
Old 01-26-2010
Question Search and Replace with Confirmation

Hi,

I have created a script which searches and replace the searched text from any file in directory.
I want to add a functionality where before replacing the text, script shows the line with the searched text and ask for user confirmation before replacing the text.
Can this be done using SED or any other command.

I have used SED for searching and replacing the text in my script.

Thanks
Abhinav

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail delivery confirmation

If I am sending mail with this command: mail .......@whatever.com < filename, is it possible to get delivery confirmation? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSGUY
3 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

need email confirmation resent

we had a power outage shortly after i registered... so my mail server was down for a while... could i get the email confirmation for hackware --> resent please...? thanx... ...william.o.yates...email removed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hackware
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

4. Web Development

Pop up Confirmation Box

Hi, I was writing a simple web application using Perl -CGI. When users try to do some operations, I wanted like a pop-up confirmation box. Is this possible with Perl-CGI? Thanks in advance. Regards, garric (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

twice confirmation in the script

from one script invoke another script will need to do double confirmation like: 'y' and 'y' exp: echo 'y' | /a/b/c.sh only input 1 'y' in the c.sh, but the c.sh required 2 'y' (twice confirmation) is there anyway get resolve this issue? please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinx
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confirmation while deleting a file

Hi All, While am deleting a file in unix by using the command rm it's deleting the file directly IT's have to ask the user while deleting like do you want to delete filename y or N ? Kindly help on this. Thanks Thelak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with search and replace or search only of / in vi

Hi all, I am editing a config file in vi that has a / on it. At the moment, search and replace looks alright as am able to use a # as a temporary separator, i.e. :,$s#/u01/app#/u02/app#g For doing a search, I have to escape the / do. So if I want to search for /u01/app, I am having to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested search in a file and replace the inner search

Hi Team, I am new to unix, please help me in this. I have a file named properties. The content of the file is : ##Mobile props east.url=https://qa.east.corp.com/prop/end west.url=https://qa.west.corp.com/prop/end south.url=https://qa.south.corp.com/prop/end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolearn
2 Replies
SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)							 1							 SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)

substr_replace - Replace text within a portion of a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed substr_replace (mixed $string, mixed $replacement, mixed $start, [mixed $length]) DESCRIPTION
substr_replace(3) replaces a copy of $string delimited by the $start and (optionally) $length parameters with the string given in $replace- ment. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. An array of strings can be provided, in which case the replacements will occur on each string in turn. In this case, the $replacement, $start and $length parameters may be provided either as scalar values to be applied to each input string in turn, or as arrays, in which case the corresponding array element will be used for each input string. o $replacement - The replacement string. o $start - If $start is positive, the replacing will begin at the $start'th offset into $string. If $start is negative, the replacing will begin at the $start'th character from the end of $string. o $length - If given and is positive, it represents the length of the portion of $string which is to be replaced. If it is negative, it rep- resents the number of characters from the end of $string at which to stop replacing. If it is not given, then it will default to strlen( $string ); i.e. end the replacing at the end of $string. Of course, if $length is zero then this function will have the effect of inserting $replacement into $string at the given $start offset. RETURN VALUES
The result string is returned. If $string is an array then array is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Simple substr_replace(3) examples <?php $var = 'ABCDEFGH:/MNRPQR/'; echo "Original: $var<hr /> "; /* These two examples replace all of $var with 'bob'. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0) . "<br /> "; echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0, strlen($var)) . "<br /> "; /* Insert 'bob' right at the beginning of $var. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0, 0) . "<br /> "; /* These next two replace 'MNRPQR' in $var with 'bob'. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 10, -1) . "<br /> "; echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', -7, -1) . "<br /> "; /* Delete 'MNRPQR' from $var. */ echo substr_replace($var, '', 10, -1) . "<br /> "; ?> Example #2 Using substr_replace(3) to replace multiple strings at once <?php $input = array('A: XXX', 'B: XXX', 'C: XXX'); // A simple case: replace XXX in each string with YYY. echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, 'YYY', 3, 3))." "; // A more complicated case where each replacement is different. $replace = array('AAA', 'BBB', 'CCC'); echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, $replace, 3, 3))." "; // Replace a different number of characters each time. $length = array(1, 2, 3); echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, $replace, 3, $length))." "; ?> The above example will output: A: YYY; B: YYY; C: YYY A: AAA; B: BBB; C: CCC A: AAAXX; B: BBBX; C: CCC NOTES
Note This function is binary-safe. SEE ALSO
str_replace(3), substr(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)