Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris df command on Sol8 machine doesn't return a result Post 302389797 by garskoci on Monday 25th of January 2010 11:40:44 PM
Old 01-26-2010
Run a du command and check the output against the results from your df output. I've seen this happen when people delete open files. Depending of the filesystem, you'll have to reboot or run an fsck on the filesystem as mainegeek suggested.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick up the return code for every iteration and display the result only once in loop.

Hi All, I amlearning UNIX scripting. I have a small query. I would be thankful if any one helps me out. I have a below piece of code which delets the files. If file dosent have the permissions to delete a particular file I have used 2>>operator to track the error code. But my objective is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas6
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to grep a string in directories and return the result with diskusage aswell?

What Im basically trying to do is this: I have a small script that can grep any parameter entered into a search string, then print to the screen the name of each file the parameter appears in as well as the file path, ie the directory. The code Im using just for this is.... Directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eddeh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backing out of a script if command doesn't return any results?

Hello I have a script which emails identifies the user ID of a user and sends them an email. A user can enter part of the name of the person he/wants to send the email to. Then I use the ypcat command to identify the UID of that person. The problem I'm having, is building in an error trap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for string and return binary result?

Hi, I have a problem that I am sure someone will know the answer to. Currently I have a script which returns a binary output if it finds a certain search string (in this case relating to a DRBD cluster) as follows: searchstring="cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate" && echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: almightybunghol
3 Replies

6. Solaris

uname doesn't return T5220 when it should

When I use the command uname -a I get the following SunOS SMSSC11 5.10 Generic_142909-17 sun4v sparc sun4v and not (from another system) SunOS SMSSC1 5.10 Generic_141414-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,Netra-T5220 Although this system is a T5220 as can be confirmed with prtconf snipit below System... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lankyG
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Result of Catching Return Value from Sub_script.sh to Main_script.sh is not as Expected

Main_script.sh #! /bin/sh ./Sub_script.sh rc=$? echo "Return code from Sub_script.sh : $rc" if ; then echo "$rc = 991" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 992" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 0" echo "" exit 1 fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong result return from script

Hi Gurus, I need a script to compare two files: sample file like below: list: cde,file4 cde,file5 def,file6 def,file7 def,file8 abc,file1 abc,file2 abc,file3 acd,file9 acd,file10 tmp file1 file2 file3 file4 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
12 Replies

9. HP-UX

Find command doesn't return in shell script.

Hi All, I am using below snippet to search for a string (read from a file 'searchstring.out') in all locations (/) and then iterate over the files found to write the locations and the respective owner to an output file. However, this doesn't work as I believe the find command doesn't exit's... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl doesn't return csv file

Hi every body, I'm getting a trouble with my script , it's supposed to return a csv file . /usr/bin/curl -LS -D- -X GET -H "Authorization:Basic $password" -H 'Content-Type: text/csv' -L -o $OUTPUT_FILENAME $url; But I get an empty file with : {"ErrorCode":1001,"ErrorMessage":"Incorrect login... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: beautymind
0 Replies
FSCK(8) 						       System Administration							   FSCK(8)

NAME
fsck.minix - check consistency of Minix filesystem SYNOPSIS
fsck.minix [-larvsmf] device DESCRIPTION
fsck.minix performs a consistency check for the Linux MINIX filesystem. The current version supports the 14 character and 30 character filename options. The program assumes the filesystem is quiescent. fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted device unless you can be sure nobody is writ- ing to it (and remember that the kernel can write to it when it searches for files). The device name will usually have the following form: /dev/hda[1-63] (IDE disk 1) /dev/hdb[1-63] (IDE disk 2) /dev/sda[1-15] (SCSI disk 1) /dev/sdb[1-15] (SCSI disk 2) If the filesystem was changed (i.e., repaired), then fsck.minix will print "FILE SYSTEM HAS CHANGED" and will sync(2) three times before exiting. Since Linux does not currently have raw devices, there is no need to reboot at this time. WARNING
fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted filesystem. Using fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem is very dangerous, due to the possibility that deleted files are still in use, and can seriously damage a perfectly good filesystem! If you absolutely have to run fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem (i.e., the root filesystem), make sure nothing is writing to the disk, and that no files are "zombies" waiting for dele- tion. OPTIONS
-l List all filenames. -r Perform interactive repairs. -a Perform automatic repairs. (This option implies -r and serves to answer all of the questions asked with the default.) Note that this can be extremely dangerous in the case of extensive filesystem damage. -v Be verbose. -s Output super-block information. -m Activate MINIX-like "mode not cleared" warnings. -f Force a filesystem check even if the filesystem was marked as valid (this marking is done by the kernel when the filesystem is unmounted). SEE ALSO
fsck(8), fsck.ext2(8), mkfs(8), mkfs.minix(8), mkfs.ext2(8), reboot(8) DIAGNOSTICS
There are numerous diagnostic messages. The ones mentioned here are the most commonly seen in normal usage. If the device does not exist, fsck.minix will print "unable to read super block". If the device exists, but is not a MINIX filesystem, fsck.minix will print "bad magic number in super-block". EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by fsck.minix is the sum of the following: 0 No errors 3 Filesystem errors corrected, system should be rebooted if filesystem was mounted 4 Filesystem errors left uncorrected 7 Combination of exit codes 3 and 4 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error In point of fact, only 0, 3, 4, 7, 8, and 16 can ever be returned. AUTHOR
Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi) Error code values by Rik Faith (faith@cs.unc.edu) Added support for filesystem valid flag: Dr. Wettstein (greg%wind.uucp@plains.nodak.edu) Check to prevent fsck of mounted filesystem added by Daniel Quinlan (quinlan@yggdrasil.com) Minix v2 fs support by Andreas Schwab (schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de), updated by Nicolai Langfeldt (janl@math.uio.no) Portability patch by Russell King (rmk@ecs.soton.ac.uk). AVAILABILITY
The fsck.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 1996 FSCK(8)