Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Text stream K&R exercises
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Text stream K&R exercises Post 302389448 by pludi on Monday 25th of January 2010 02:29:45 AM
Old 01-25-2010
Slow down, young grasshopper. At 1-13, you're still a long way from functions, and even more so from using an IDE!

You have to write a program to read in a bunch of words, and then print a histogram of the length of those words. So first you'll need one loop to read the input. Since you want a histogram of the length of the words, you don't need to save the words, only their length. To save that, you need an integer array, and for an proper histogram a counter of the total number of words. How do you discern between one word an another? Let's simplify this and declare a word to be a series of letters between 'A' and 'Z' or between 'a' and 'z'. Anything else is a separator between words.

For output, loop over the array of word lengths you have. Calculate the percentage they take on the total number of words, and for that size create an appropriately sized "bar" using another, nested, loop.

Remember, the K&R book was written at a time when C programming was done with command line utilities, and all exercises can be done using nothing but an editor, a C compiler, and a command line debugger (eg. gdb).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exercises in shell

Hi, I am a beginner at shell scripting, though I have several years of Oracle programming experience. Can anyone recommend a site where I can find some exercises on shell programming. Is there anywhere I can telnet as I dont have UNIX OS on my PC? Thanks Rohit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitv
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shall Scripts exercises

I have just 3 things that I really need to know the solution, please allow me to show it. any help would be nice script that backup a file. The file name to backup should be provided as input parameter, the backup file should have the same file name with the extension ".bak". If the user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anything
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to remove text before&&after comma chars

Hi, all: I have a question about "cleaning up" a huge file with regular expression(s) and sed: The init file goes like this: block1,blah-blah-blah-blah,numseries1,numseries2,numseries3,numseries4 block2,blah-blah-blah-blah-blah,numseries,numseries2,numseries3,numseries4 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yomaya
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need ideas for practice exercises in sh

I did an assignment for sh scripting back in november, and I found it quite fun learning. I would like to retain this knowledge as I'm pretty sure it was my only scripting assignment, from now on in my programming course we won't be doing any scripting apart from the typical makefile scripts. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gcampton
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Video stream] network stream recording with mplayer

Hi I used this command: mplayer http://host/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi -user root -passwd root \ -cache 1024 -fps 25.0 -nosound -vc ffh264 \ -demuxer 3 -dumpstream -dumpfile output.avi It's ok but... Video Playing is very fast! Why? Is it a synch problem? What parameter I have to use for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: takeo.kikuta
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I would like to have some exercises to develop my skills

Hi , I would like to do some exercises/scripts in order to develop my skills in shell scripts, can someone pass me some links/suggestions where i can find this? Thanks a lot :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array & text file

Hi all, i have a text file such as: 10 17:54:47,213 10 17:54:47,214 10 17:54:49,338 10 17:54:49,399 10 17:54:50,402 10 17:54:50,403 11 17:54:47,213 11 17:54:47,213 11 17:54:49,362 11 17:54:49,422 11 17:54:50,429 11 17:54:50,429 11 17:54:50,429 11 17:54:50,429 11 17:54:51,510 12... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbamap
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract & Manipulate continous data stream-- tcpdump

Hello; I have this rather tricky problem to solve --(to me, anyways) .. I am processing the following one liner with tcpdump.. tcpdump -i T3501 -A ether host 00:1e:49:29:fc:c9 or ether host 00:1b:2b:86:ec:1b or ether host 00:21:1c:98:a4:08 and net 149.83.6.0/24 | grep --line-buffered -B... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Text after one, two, three lines & so on..

I want to insert "Text" in each file as a place where I mentioned below "Insert Text Here". These files are something like news of newspaper. Generally, newspaper headlines contain one or two lines. I don't know how it can be identified whether Text is inserted after first line or second line. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: imranrasheedamu
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with a question in one of my exercises

Hello, so I'm taking unix in one of my classes and I've been having fun, but I got stuck at this one question that I'm supposed to know how to answer but I can't wrap my head around it, I figured I'll post it here and see if someone can shed some light into what I'm doing wrong. Here's the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiwolf25
1 Replies
canadian-english(5)						   Users' Manual					       canadian-english(5)

NAME
canadian-english - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/canadian-english is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 canadian-english(5)