Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add lines with sed or awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add lines with sed or awk Post 302389401 by daptal on Sunday 24th of January 2010 06:38:17 PM
Old 01-24-2010
Code:
 awk '{for(i=0;i<=7;i++){ orig=$2; $2=$2"-"i; print $0; $2= orig;}}' abc.txt

HTH,
PL

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Add New Lines

Hello, I have a file that has data like this: one two three four five six seven eight nine ten Is there a quick way using sed of nawk to put each word on it's own line? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate lines with sed/awk

Hey All, I need to reorganize a file's text. Here is the source: host John_Doe filename "config.cfg"; hardware ethernet 98:10:3d:13:8f:98; fixed-address 10.10.10.29; } host Jane_Doe filename "config.cfg"; hardware ethernet 98:13:11:fd:5a:57; fixed-address 10.10.5.24; } host... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBigAmbulance
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove lines before and after with awk / sed ?

Hi guys, I need to remove the pattern (ID=180), one line before and four lines after. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashimada
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk to delete single lines that aren't touching other lines

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to use sed or awk to delete single lines in a file. By single, I mean lines that are not touching any other lines (just one line with white space above and below). Example: one two three four five six seven eight I want it to look like: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: slimjbe
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed - Convert 2 lines to 1 line

Hi, Just trying to get to grips with sed and awk for some reporting for work and I need some assistance: I have a file that lists policy names on the first line and then on the second line whether the policy is active or not. Policy Name: Policy1 Active: yes Policy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: guinch
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - sed :Help Getting next lines data .

Experts, Can you please help how to get the output that are written just below "bad" calls badcalls nullrecv 439486 54 0 badlen xdrcall dupchecks ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed and awk for long lines

Hi, I'm trying make a variable length file to a fixed length of 4000. I'm to pad spaces on the right of a record if length is less than 4000 to make the record length 4000. I'm trying to use the below commands awk '{printf "%-4000s\n", $0}' inputfile.dat > outputfile.dat sed -e :a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxusr
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join lines using sed or awk

Hi, I have text file that looks like this: blabla bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla bla bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hench
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string into certain lines - sed

Hello all, I have surely an easy question - but at the moment I do not see the solution. All what I want is to add the string "/9201" within a file when a line starts with ":47A:". This is how a file look like: Information Tool :12:Delimiter :3:Space :47A:0329 :3:Space After the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
2 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)