Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use sed to move last line to top Post 302389400 by rdcwayx on Sunday 24th of January 2010 06:27:44 PM
Old 01-24-2010
By awk:

Code:
awk '{a[NR]=$0} END {print a[NR]; for (i=1;i<NR;i++) print a[i]}' urfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

move the last word to begining of next line - SED

Hello, I'm trying to move the last word of matching pattern to the begining of next line. Appreciate if anyone post the script. From the below line I'm getting the last word, Note: this word also appears in many places in my file #return the last word of line that contains ListenPort sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskar
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find top 100 files and move them

i have some 1000 files in my dir and i want to find top 100 files and move them to some other location: below the 2 commands i used, but it is not working ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -100 | xargs mv destination - _________>not working ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -100 | xargs mv {}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

best way to insert a line at the top of a file?

say I want to insert "this is a test" as the first line into file A, besides echo "this is a test" > /tmp/tmpfile cat /tmp/tmpfile fileA >> /tmp/result, is there any simple way I can do it? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting everything other that the top line

Hi there if I use `head -1` it gives me the top line .... is there a utility out there that will give me everything other than the top line ? I know how to achieve this by taking the file out to another file etc, but id like to be able to do it without creating additional files is this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

append a line into a file in the top

hi, My code is #!/bin/sh echo "\n\nPlease enter the month of the year(YYYYMM) : \c" read date_rep INPUT_L9_FILE=L9_Recharge_Description_EOM_$date_rep.csv #This part is used to summarise Grand_Total, Balance_Total of file L9_Recharge_Description_EOM_${1}.csv. awk -F"," '{if(NR!=1)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madfox
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to move a line after the matched pattern line

I have the following text format in a file which lists the question first and then 5 choices after that the explanantion and finally the answer. 1.The amount of time it takes for most of a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining because of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanchil_guy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move lines above a line onto one line

So say I have the file: john london 24 male ======== jane london 22 female ======== mike 23 ======== Bob how do i get the information i need on one line as such: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to move matched pattern to end of previous line

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been doing a lot of sed work lately and have found many useful tips on this forum. I've hit a roadblock in a project, though, and could really use some help. I have a text file with many lines like the following, i.e., some lines begin with a single word... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paroikoi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a line to top of the file

Hi, I have a following file and it has only one occurrence of line that says "Output view:". It could be in middle somewhere ( i don't know the exact location ). I want to move it as the first line of the file. Input AAA BBBB CCCC Output view: XXXX YYYY ZZZZ Output should be: Output... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
13 Replies
SHTOOL-INSTALL.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					     SHTOOL-INSTALL.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-install - GNU shtool install(1) command SYNOPSIS
shtool install [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-d|--mkdir] [-c|--copy] [-C|--compare-copy] [-s|--strip] [-m|--mode mode] [-o|--owner owner] [-g|--group group] [-e|--exec sed-cmd] file [file ...] path DESCRIPTION
This command installs a one or more files to a given target path providing all important options of the BSD install(1) command. The trick is that the functionality is provided in a portable way. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -d, --mkdir To maximize BSD compatiblity, the BSD "shtool "install -d"" usage is internally mapped to the "shtool "mkdir -f -p -m 755"" command. -c, --copy Copy the file to the target path. Default is to move. -C, --compare-copy Same as -c except if the destination file already exists and is identical to the source file, no installation is done and the target remains untouched. -s, --strip This option strips program executables during the installation, see strip(1). Default is to install verbatim. -m, --mode mode The file mode applied to the target, see chmod(1). Setting mode to ""-"" skips this step and leaves the operating system default which is usually based on umask(1). Some file modes require superuser privileges to be set. Default is 0755. -o, --owner owner The file owner name or id applied to the target, see chown(1). This option requires superuser privileges to execute. Default is to skip this step and leave the operating system default which is usually based on the executing uid or the parent setuid directory. -g, --group group The file group name or id applied to the target, see chgrp(1). This option requires superuser privileges to execute to the fullest extend, otherwise the choice of group is limited on most operating systems. Default is to skip this step and leave the operating system default which is usually based on the executing gid or the parent setgid directory. -e, --exec sed-cmd This option can be used one or multiple times to apply one or more sed(1) commands to the file contents during installation. EXAMPLE
# Makefile install: : shtool install -c -s -m 4755 foo $(bindir)/ shtool install -c -m 644 foo.man $(mandir)/man1/foo.1 shtool install -c -m 644 -e "s/@p@/$prefix/g" foo.conf $(etcdir)/ HISTORY
The GNU shtool install command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1997 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by portability issues in the installation procedures of OSSP libraries. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), umask(1), chmod(1), chown(1), chgrp(1), strip(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-INSTALL.TMP(1)