Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UNIX: Command to compress folder and all files into a tar Post 302389292 by kane4355 on Sunday 24th of January 2010 02:48:12 AM
Old 01-24-2010
sun solaris 8

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar command with compress option...

Hi ! i have to write a script that archivs homes not used since 3 years. First, my script gathers the users that are concerned, using the following command : ll -lt /home/*/.sh_history | egrep '2000|1999|1998|1997' | awk '{print $3}' i obtain a list like this : user_1 user_2 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix command to cound the number of files in a folder

Hi All Can some one help me out. Please tell the unix command to cound the number of files in a folder. Ungent please# Thanks manas (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar, compress and remove files older than two days

Hi, I'm Eddy from Belgium and I've the following problem. I try to write a ksh script in AIX to tar, compress and remove the original *.wav files from the directory belgacom_sf_messages older than two days with the following commands. The problem is that I do not find a good combination... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edr
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress the file using Tar command

Hi, When i am tar the file particular ,csv file format in a folder i am receiving the error Command: tar cf New_data.tar /new/file/mari/getdata/small/*.xml Arguements too long But sometimes i am able to compress other folder but the tar folder contains all the file format and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marivinay
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify files with "Normal termination" and compress them into a .tar.gz file

Hi, I have hundreds of files "*.out" located in one folder, and I want to: 1. Identify the good files containing "Normal termination" (grep "Normal termination" *.out ) 2. Compress the good files into a tar.gz file (tar cvfz good.tar.gz *.goog.out ) Is there a way I can automate this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
4 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Extract particular folder from a .tar format files.

Hi All- I want to extract a particular folder from .tar format files. For example: File Name: backup.tar The backup.tar contains the below folders & files. 1) /root_folder/Folder1/Folder1-1/* 2) /root_folder/Folder1/Folder1-2/* 3) /root_folder/Folder2/Folder2-1/* 4)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_manimuthu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command to preserve the folder/file arrangement

Hi, I do have question for un tar a file. I have several 'tar'ed files. For example: SRS.tar.bz2. I was trying to untar them in a linux server using the command: tar xvjf SRS.tar.bz2 It worked perfectly. but when I open this file in my mac computer all the files are extracted into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

10. HP-UX

HP-UNIX How to zip/compress files in a folder?

Environment: HP-Unix Operating System B.11.31 U ia64 I have a folder with around 2000 files. There are some files which sizes are more than 8 GB. I need to compress all the files in the folder into a single file, so that I can transfer the file. I tried with tar command, but the tar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
8 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)