Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Create file for space Reserve Post 302388947 by vino_hymi on Friday 22nd of January 2010 02:08:32 AM
Old 01-22-2010
Yes exactly want to create dummy file and delete in future for space. I need to know the command to create empty file with specified amount of size.

Or any other workout to manage space.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Reserve Failed error for HD

Hi Guys, Anybody come across this error when formating a harddisk. "Reserved Failed" Supected hardisk failure, is my assumption correct. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigmoon
5 Replies

2. Linux

proper way to reserve ports in linux

How do you debug a perl script non interactively, similar to bash -x? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Create user with Restricted Space usage

Hi, What is the command or how to create a user with the restricted usage of space on a disk. Also let me know how to change the limit of the space size allotted in future for the same user. ~Vinodh Kumar V M (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
3 Replies

4. AIX

Reserve Ports

Hi I have a ticket to Reserve ports for SAS install in SAS servers. Does anyone knows the procedure how to do it. it will be helpful for me please Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gulamibrahim
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reserve Ephemeral ports

my apps use port 40001; however, for example, firstly, I ftp to other server, it made a high port locally, remote is port 21, unfortunately, it hit my port 40001 and my apps is unable to startup. This chance is very very little, but I hit it. Can resevse my port 40001? otherwise command don't use it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbid
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to create a UNIX Space monitoring script

Hi All, Its urgent.. pls help me out.. I want to create a KSH which should generate a report with the list of users and the files larger than 5 GB created by them in a direcorty and send autogenerated e-mail to them. my input would be users list,directory path and the file size (say 5 GB) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anman0523
11 Replies

7. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create the space only in the Third column by awk

Hi All , I am having an input file like this Input file r s e y Pin Numbers s n eppppppppppppppppppc ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
3 Replies
MALLOC(3F)																MALLOC(3F)

NAME
malloc, free, falloc - memory allocator SYNOPSIS
subroutine malloc (size, addr) integer size, addr subroutine free (addr) integer addr subroutine falloc (nelem, elsize, clean, basevec, addr, offset) integer nelem, elsize, clean, addr, offset DESCRIPTION
Malloc, falloc and free provide a general-purpose memory allocation package. Malloc returns in addr the address of a block of at least size bytes beginning on an even-byte boundary. Falloc allocates space for an array of nelem elements of size elsize and returns the address of the block in addr. It zeros the block if clean is 1. It returns in offset an index such that the storage may be addressed as basevec(offset+1) ... basevec(offset+nelem). Falloc gets extra bytes so that after address arithmetic, all the objects so addressed are within the block. The argument to free is the address of a block previously allocated by malloc or falloc; this space is made available for further alloca- tion, but its contents are left undisturbed. To free blocks allocated by falloc, use addr in calls to free, do not use basevec(offset+1). Needless to say, grave disorder will result if the space assigned by mallocorfalloc is overrun or if some random number is handed to free. DIAGNOSTICS
Malloc and falloc set addr to 0 if there is no available memory or if the arena has been detectably corrupted by storing outside the bounds of a block. The following example shows how to obtain memory and use it within a subprogram: integer addr, work(1), offset ... call falloc ( n, 4, 0, work, addr, offset ) do 10 i = 1, n work(offset+i) = ... 10 continue The next example reads in dimension information, allocates space for two arrays and two vectors, and calls subroutine doit to do the compu- tations: integer addr, dummy(1), offs read *, k, l, m indm1 = 1 indm2 = indm1 + k*l indm3 = indm2 + l*m indsym = indm3 + k*m lsym = n*(n+1)/2 indv = indsym + lsym indtot = indv + m call falloc ( indtot, 4, 0, dummy, addr, offs ) call doit( dummy(indm1+offs), dummy(indm2+offs), . dummy(indm3+offs), dummy(indsym+offs), . dummy(indv +offs), m, n, lsym ) end subroutine doit( arr1, arr2, arr3, vsym, vec, m, n, lsym ) real arr1(k,l), arr2(l,m), arr3(k,m), vsym(lsym), v2(m) ... FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
malloc(3) 4.3 Berkeley Distribution May 15, 1985 MALLOC(3F)