Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Create file for space Reserve Post 302388944 by tlarkin on Friday 22nd of January 2010 01:54:33 AM
Old 01-22-2010
the find command, du, and other command line tools can monitor space. I am not sure if filling up your HD with dummy files to take up space only to delete them later on is a good practice. Seems like a lot of work for something that can be accomplished in a better way.

What are your exact concerns?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Reserve Failed error for HD

Hi Guys, Anybody come across this error when formating a harddisk. "Reserved Failed" Supected hardisk failure, is my assumption correct. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigmoon
5 Replies

2. Linux

proper way to reserve ports in linux

How do you debug a perl script non interactively, similar to bash -x? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Create user with Restricted Space usage

Hi, What is the command or how to create a user with the restricted usage of space on a disk. Also let me know how to change the limit of the space size allotted in future for the same user. ~Vinodh Kumar V M (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
3 Replies

4. AIX

Reserve Ports

Hi I have a ticket to Reserve ports for SAS install in SAS servers. Does anyone knows the procedure how to do it. it will be helpful for me please Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gulamibrahim
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reserve Ephemeral ports

my apps use port 40001; however, for example, firstly, I ftp to other server, it made a high port locally, remote is port 21, unfortunately, it hit my port 40001 and my apps is unable to startup. This chance is very very little, but I hit it. Can resevse my port 40001? otherwise command don't use it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbid
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to create a UNIX Space monitoring script

Hi All, Its urgent.. pls help me out.. I want to create a KSH which should generate a report with the list of users and the files larger than 5 GB created by them in a direcorty and send autogenerated e-mail to them. my input would be users list,directory path and the file size (say 5 GB) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anman0523
11 Replies

7. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create the space only in the Third column by awk

Hi All , I am having an input file like this Input file r s e y Pin Numbers s n eppppppppppppppppppc ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
3 Replies
SDIFF(1)							     GNU Tools								  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff - find differences between two files and merge interactively SYNOPSIS
sdiff -o outfile [options] from-file to-file DESCRIPTION
The sdiff command merges two files and interactively outputs the results to outfile. If from-file is a directory and to-file is not, sdiff compares the file in from-file whose file name is that of to-file, and vice versa. from-file and to-file may not both be directories. sdiff options begin with -, so normally from-file and to-file may not begin with -. However, -- as an argument by itself treats the remaining arguments as file names even if they begin with -. You may not use - as an input file. sdiff without -o (or --output) produces a side-by-side difference. This usage is obsolete; use diff --side-by-side instead. Options Below is a summary of all of the options that GNU sdiff accepts. Each option has two equivalent names, one of which is a single letter preceded by -, and the other of which is a long name preceded by --. Multiple single letter options (unless they take an argument) can be combined into a single command line argument. Long named options can be abbreviated to any unique prefix of their name. -a Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -b Ignore changes in amount of white space. -B Ignore changes that just insert or delete blank lines. -d Change the algorithm to perhaps find a smaller set of changes. This makes sdiff slower (sometimes much slower). -H Use heuristics to speed handling of large files that have numerous scattered small changes. --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in the output, to preserve the alignment of tabs in the input files. -i Ignore changes in case; consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. -I regexp Ignore changes that just insert or delete lines that match regexp. --ignore-all-space Ignore white space when comparing lines. --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes that just insert or delete blank lines. --ignore-case Ignore changes in case; consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. --ignore-matching-lines=regexp Ignore changes that just insert or delete lines that match regexp. --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in amount of white space. -l --left-column Print only the left column of two common lines. --minimal Change the algorithm to perhaps find a smaller set of changes. This makes sdiff slower (sometimes much slower). -o file --output=file Put merged output into file. This option is required for merging. -s --suppress-common-lines Do not print common lines. --speed-large-files Use heuristics to speed handling of large files that have numerous scattered small changes. -t Expand tabs to spaces in the output, to preserve the alignment of tabs in the input files. --text Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -v --version Output the version number of sdiff. -w columns --width=columns Use an output width of columns. Note that for historical reasons, this option is -W in diff, -w in sdiff. -W Ignore horizontal white space when comparing lines. Note that for historical reasons, this option is -w in diff, -W in sdiff. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), diff3(1). DIAGNOSTICS
An exit status of 0 means no differences were found, 1 means some differences were found, and 2 means trouble. GNU Tools 22sep1993 SDIFF(1)