Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retrieve all DNS zones (domains) from local server Post 302388886 by tlarkin on Thursday 21st of January 2010 06:37:40 PM
Old 01-21-2010
I haven't dealt with webhosting on that level, but doesn't the dns entries get stored in /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, or something similar to that?

If you can get a list of IPs or FQDNs you can feed them into an nslookup, then grep/awk/sed what you wanted out of it and output it to a file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

DNS Free for Five Domains

We have had a great experience recently with these folks: http://www.zoneedit.com/ and highly recommend them. You can set up and manage the DNS for five free domains there, both primary and secondary. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. Programming

retrieve IP of local machine

Hi all, I am writing a program to retrieve the IP address or machine name of the local machine using C. Is there any C function that does this? ny clue will be of gr8 help!!! thanx a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mridula
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Setting up local DNS Server

Hi , Could some one please share some docs or steps to set up solaris box as a local DNS . Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies

4. Solaris

DNS resolv problem for some domains

Hi guys, I just got a new job. I'm working in an ISP and Datacenter, we have 2 DNS servers, a LINUX (primary), and a SUNOS (secondary). A few days ago we had an issue with some non-authoritative domains(not all, just some) in the SUNOS that can't be resolved. The same domain in the LINUX box is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: binover
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Enabling time service in local zones

Hi, Is it possible to enable the time service in local zones? E.g. erahmanz1% svcs -a | grep -i time STATE STIME FMRI disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:dgram disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:stream disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/time:dgram... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ERahman
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Local DNS

I am trying to install a replacement mail server. On the old machine, nslookup example.com returns 192.168.100.5 instead of its real ip of 207.139...... On the new machine, which I have presumably set up the same way; I compared the data in the gui dnsconfig on both machines, I get an error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
0 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11.2 x86 Local Zones for Oracle RAC database, intermittent Memory corruption of db

Hi, I was wondering if any Solaris fellow out there has dealt with running Solaris 11 x86 on Local Zones for Oracle RAC (which may or may not be relevant to issue), running on HP gen h/w. Every so often could be weeks between issues or some times days, there will be a memory corruption and db... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crossmypath
2 Replies
rpc.nisd_resolv(1M)					  System Administration Commands				       rpc.nisd_resolv(1M)

NAME
rpc.nisd_resolv, nisd_resolv - NIS+ service daemon SYNOPSIS
rpc.nisd_resolv [-v | -V] [ -F [-C fd]] [-t xx] [-p yy] DESCRIPTION
rpc.nisd_resolv is an auxiliary process which provides DNS forwarding service for NIS hosts requests to both ypserv and rpc.nisd that are running in the NIS compatibility mode. It is generally started by invoking rpc.nisd(1M) with the -B option or ypserv(1M) with the -d option. Although it is not recommended, rpc.nisd_resolv can also be started independently with the following options. This command requires that the /etc/resolv.conf file be setup for communication with a DNS nameserver. The nslookup utility can be used to verify communication with a DNS nameserver. See resolv.conf(4) and nslookup(1M). OPTIONS
-F Run in foreground. -C fd Use fd for service xprt (from nisd). -v Verbose. Send output to the syslog daemon. -V Verbose. Send output to stdout. -t xx Use transport xx. -p yy Use transient program# yy. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nslookup(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), resolv.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 rpc.nisd_resolv(1M)