Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux Device Driver: how can an ISR wake up a user-thread? Post 302388857 by agaurav on Thursday 21st of January 2010 04:21:07 PM
Old 01-21-2010
Linux Device Driver: how can an ISR wake up a user-thread?

Hi all,

Is it possible to do the following in Linux (kernel 2.6.x):

- A user-space thread goes to "sleep". Using any call/mechanism
- On a hardware generated interrupt, the Interrupt handler (ISR) "wakes" the sleeping user-thread.

I have seen wait_event() and wake_up() but it appears that the two should be both user-mode or kernel-mode. Or can they be in different spaces?

I could use complete, semaphores or queues or anything else but it appears that any kind of such synchronization requires the shared object to be either in kernel-space or user-space.

Gaurav

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Book for Linux Basics and Linux device driver.

hai friend, I am new to Linux, i need a book for Linux basic and Linux device driver .. plz send the book name and author(Easy to learn and mostly used by programmers) and also send the link if it is available in Net... Thank you. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar.lsr
0 Replies

3. Programming

how to wake up a thread that blocking at epoll_wait?

I have two threads: one maintains a thread-safe message queue (handle this queue at the beginning of every loop) and deals with tcp connections, the other one posts message to the former one. the problem is, while the former one was blocking at epoll_wait, it's not sure that how long until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cometeor
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wake up user space thread from kernel space ISR

Hello, I'm searching for a proper way to let the kernel space ISR(implemented in a kernel module) wake up a user space thread on a hardware interrupt. Except for sending a real-time signal, is it possible to use a semaphore? I've searched it on google, but it seems impossible to share a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
0 Replies

5. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

6. Programming

How to sleep and wake a thread???

Hi guys, I am creating two posix threads. I have some queries, hopefully you will help me out with them 1) How can I put a thread to indefinite sleep, for indefinite time period. I am familiar with this sleep(5); for 5 second, how can I make it indefinite?? 2) How can one thread wake another... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Certification For Linux Device Driver Programming

Hi All, I'm looking for role change to Linux device Driver developer. My current role has no connection to Linux Device driver development and hence to support my stand i want to do a certification for the same. I have googled but couldn't found any standard certification. I have submitted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kg_gaurav
1 Replies
REQUEST_THREADED_IRQ(9) 				     Public Functions Provided					   REQUEST_THREADED_IRQ(9)

NAME
request_threaded_irq - allocate an interrupt line SYNOPSIS
int request_threaded_irq(unsigned int irq, irq_handler_t handler, irq_handler_t thread_fn, unsigned long irqflags, const char * devname, void * dev_id); ARGUMENTS
irq Interrupt line to allocate handler Function to be called when the IRQ occurs. Primary handler for threaded interrupts If NULL and thread_fn != NULL the default primary handler is installed thread_fn Function called from the irq handler thread If NULL, no irq thread is created irqflags Interrupt type flags devname An ascii name for the claiming device dev_id A cookie passed back to the handler function DESCRIPTION
This call allocates interrupt resources and enables the interrupt line and IRQ handling. From the point this call is made your handler function may be invoked. Since your handler function must clear any interrupt the board raises, you must take care both to initialise your hardware and to set up the interrupt handler in the right order. If you want to set up a threaded irq handler for your device then you need to supply handler and thread_fn. handler is still called in hard interrupt context and has to check whether the interrupt originates from the device. If yes it needs to disable the interrupt on the device and return IRQ_WAKE_THREAD which will wake up the handler thread and run thread_fn. This split handler design is necessary to support shared interrupts. Dev_id must be globally unique. Normally the address of the device data structure is used as the cookie. Since the handler receives this value it makes sense to use it. If your interrupt is shared you must pass a non NULL dev_id as this is required when freeing the interrupt. FLAGS
IRQF_SHARED Interrupt is shared IRQF_TRIGGER_* Specify active edge(s) or level AUTHORS
Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> Author. Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> Author. COPYRIGHT
Kernel Hackers Manual 3.10 June 2014 REQUEST_THREADED_IRQ(9)